Air Forks advice wanted please (SID's) with pics

Huntso

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
You can tell how stuck in the past I am, only ever had coil/oil forks and no idea what to do with these new fangled air things

Forks are RS Sid Dual Air, no obvious signs of adjustment knobs and seems from my limited knowledge to take the needle type adaptor thingy.
Not even sure what model or year they are, just says Sid, Dual Air,Black with 1in bonded steerer
Would these just be adjustable from the amount of air you put in and if so what sort of pressure? (told you I was naive :) )

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0595 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0595 (Medium).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_0594 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0594 (Medium).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 960
  • IMG_0596 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0596 (Medium).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 960
Thanks for those and loads of good stuff.

What is the negative air spring? all I can see are the two top cap screws that come out to access where the needle valve goes.

Oh for my old Bombers, this is very confusing :roll:

Huntso":iehmqzyb said:
Thanks for the link, handy for servicing, but still no mention of adjusting or pressures required.
Reccomended pressures for rider weight given on page 5

Getting there, but gawd only knows what year these are, thanks both for the pressure guides :)

Unfortunately the pos and neg air pressure is different and no idea which is which.

From what I can gather going for the right as pos, but not entirely sure :?

Need a better pic to maybe tell you which year those are, but on mine -ve air is at the bottom not the top. WuTangled is an expert in SIDs.

I thought Z3s were all coil spring, but if later ones were air then I have a feeling that Marzocchi work at lower pressures than RS, and I have a vague recollection of reading that you need different pumps for them, but I may be wrong.

On early Z3s, you could just swap over the crown/steerer onto your Z2. Or just the 1" steerer and shim to a 1+1/8 crown.

Thanks Anthony, nothing apart from the leg bolts on the bottom of mine, just the two top screws. Ok for now, but when they need pumping up would like to know what i'm doing.

Will wait until the Bombers turn up and then have a look at the options, just trying to get Z2 internals in a fork with a 1in steerer. Perhaps I can just swap them over, spring, rebound cartridge and all.

I think your forks only have +ve air adjustment. The -ve used to be at the base of the left leg, which isn't visable on your photos. The -ve air forks also used shraeder valves, not the needle ones.
From memory i ran 55-60psi in the both legs (they are both +ve) that was when i was around 10 stone :roll:
Things is though you just need to ride them and see what works :D

Back