Disc Brakes and V-Brakes

Sheepdisease

Dirt Disciple
Hello, I am looking for disc brakes to go with my Zac 19 wheels.

Could someone please recommend disc brakes for me? Or even better, is anyone getting rid of some that they no longer want?

I currently have v-brakes so will I need to get new brake levers or anything?

Current set-up:

ajrlo7.jpg

Whilst I am waiting to decide on the most suitable disc brakes etc for my bike, could someone please tell me how I adjust my current v-brakes as they are rubbing against the rims of my wheels?

I love that picture - your bike appears to have taken a dump on the floor expelling all manner of equipment.

When one of my bikes last took a crap, I found a NOS M730 crankset still in the wrapper...

you wont get discs on the rear as you need a specific frame .
you also need a specific wheels .

You'll need disc tabs on the frame to run disc brakes on the rear. On the front wont be a problem as the Dart forks have the tabs.

Disc brakes run different brake levers, so if your shifters are intergrated with the brake levers, you'll need new shifters.

You can get some rear disc brake calipers that band on to the frame, but they'll be expensive.

As for the V's, best check your pad alignment first. Then, you may be able to micro adjust from the barrel adjuster on your lever and/or the little on the brake arm itself. Or, you could just undo the allen bolt that holds the cable in on the brake arm and let a small amount through, meaning the arms will sit further away from the rims.

In answer to your question - your GT frame has no rear disk mount, your forks have a 'Hayes' disk mount. Most disk calipers are 'international standard fit' so you need an adaptor, if you want to fit non Hayes style callipers.

If you have a cable operated disk calliper, your V type levers will not need replacing. If you go for a hydrolic disk calliper, these usually come as a kit complete with appropriate lever.

Right, thank you both for your suggestions.

The wheels are Zac 19's with Shimano hubs:

7883990xt756disc-blk-fr-t.jpg

My brakes are integrated into my shifters.

Isn't there some sort of adapter you can get for the rear dropout so that it will take a disc?

Is there not a retrobike fund to rescue bikes?? :cry: Like the dancing bears etc??

Honestly I mean it as no insult Sheep just think a RTS deserves a nicer retirement than a commuter bike

Back