Hope Fatso, matching rear hub?

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not really looking to buy anything right now, but thought i would ask the question. My son recently bought himself an Orange X1, god knows why he would want to buy an old bike like that :shock: ;)

Anyhow, nice surprise when it arrived is that it has a Hope fatso front hub with red flanges built onto a new looking rim that has a familiar profile to an older mavic rim with red nipples. Sorry I'll get to the point!

It does not have a matching rear wheel, what would be the matching rear hub? Did they do a fatso for the rear? I have never had Hope hubs so know next to nothing about them. Any info appreciated as future knowledge in case he starts to get the urge to upgrade to a matching rear wheel, why on earth I hear you asking would he be bothered about a thing like that?

You want a Ti-glide for the rear. They did several different versions of the front hub including the fatso (for suspension forks) and the ultralight (skinny weight-weenie version) but there was only one rear model for MTB's which stayed virtually the same with only slight tweaks.

And here for a pre-suspension model. Though I never new it's official name, there was only the one model.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38371

hop_spacer_194.jpg

----

Added from above post
I assume you/son has this
n672683081_1459734_5401.jpg

and so you'll want this
n672683081_1459736_5935.jpg

At the danger of sounding a kill joy (cos I like Hope hubs). Check the flanges on your Fatso hub before you go spending on a Ti-glide rear to match.

The early pressed together hubs suffered from cracked flanges where they pressed onto the ti centre section. The fatso (from my experience) is the worst for it. Look for hairline cracks in the alloy. Also (just in case) never lace them with radial spokes; they don't like it. ;)

FluffyChicken":10e46y5l said:
And here for a pre-suspension model. Though I never new it's official name, there was only the one model.
hop_spacer_194.jpg

That was just known as the Hope Titanium front hub.

It's the original version from early 93. I had these on order 3 months before they belatedly came out. I remember Andy from Neil Waltons in Didsbury lending me a Mavic 231/XC Pro front wheel to keep my going while I waited. Rear hub died years ago but I still have the front hub - it's onto its 3rd rim, which is also nearly worn through now.

The flange on my fatso hub exploded while dropping off a kerb bitd. I've still got a large chunk of the flange in a drawer somewhere! :oops:

Back