V brakes, front and rear sets , why? what's the issue?

tenbikes

Retro Guru
Other than the obvious matter of orientation of the brake blocks, esp the cartridge type, is there anything else that determines front and rear brake?

(I have a set of brakes in the drawer, no pads fitted so don't know what was F or R when they were last on a bike).

Re: v's

haggis":x53f4vbk said:
think the only diff with V's is the noodles

I run 90 degree front and rear, to do with cable routing.

Also bought an Avid Arch Rival, supposed to be for the front, switched pads over and ran it on the back :D

If there was a difference then it would mention it on the brakes , like an F or R.

I know Canti's had front and rear, but that was to do with their profile (e.g Shimano M900's XTR, but later they made them both the same in the M900 series.)
Cannot see that as being a problem with V-brakes, other than maybe for clearance at the top.

grrrrr I have a xt front set and scraped around finding crappy rear as I couldnt see why they couldnt fit but guessed as usual id mis something!! :roll:

Well, apparently not, but they are often sold as F or R.

I'm guessing that this is because the manufacturer has set the pads accordingly.

Shimano front and rear are the same.
The canti's were, like mentioned, available like the M900 in a front and a rear. The front had a longer arm for more stopping power.

Back