The Mountain Bike Show - ITV 1992

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Guess what guys, I've been digging through my stash of video tapes looking for my old TDF ones and come across a tape which has at least 3 half-hour episodes of the above (I haven't finished viewing it yet) that feature the 1992 7-Up BMBF Championship races (and some shots of the Worlds and Grundigs).

There's Margam Park, Clipstone and Newnham at least (possibly more) with super race sequences featuring such notables as Dave Baker, Tim Gould, Barrie Clark, Adrian Timmis, Nick Craig, Fred Salmon, the Coltman brothers, Gary Foord, Chris Young, Jason McCroy, Jez Avery and our very own Flying Welshman Tim Davies.

The ladies are also there including Caroline Alexander, Deb Murrell, Isla Rowntree and juniors Sam Humphrey, Dave Gunner, Matt Guy, Ian Cuthbertson etc.

Terrific footage all round with real nostalgiac jerseys and bikes including a trip round the Formula 1 factory showing how they made a frame.

I'll try and watch the rest of it - and get back with what's also on it.

Sounds ace, I remember this on a saturday morning. Used to watch it before i went up on't slagheaps on me raleigh activator! :oops:

Any chance of getting them up on youtube?

warpedboy2":13qkeqfm said:
Sounds ace, I remember this on a saturday morning. Used to watch it before i went up on't slagheaps on me raleigh activator! :oops:

Any chance of getting them up on youtube?

Probably to long, I'm now into the 4th episode. Just watched Pat Adams of Mountain Mayhem fame massaging David Baker's legs and a short interview with our own Tim Davies.

All great stuff :D

I remember the fairly tidy blonde presenter; she clearly didn’t get the job for her knowledge of bikes :LOL:

Gary Ford now runs my LBS

cool show, got these kicking around at my folks on betamax somewhere ;)

clunker":ue8wk0vz said:
I remember the fairly tidy blonde presenter; she clearly didn’t get the job for her knowledge of bikes :LOL:

Estelle Matthews was/is her name. I wonder where she is now?

She was quite fit - but not in a cycling kind of way. :p

She rode a Scott E-Stay in some snug fitting lycra mid-length tights. Rather fetching in my humble opinion :twisted:

Old Ned":xznva751 said:
clunker":xznva751 said:

Estelle Matthews was/is her name. I wonder where she is now?

I thought it was Sally Gray, the useless bint. She was the one that said to John Tomac, 'You've got a pretty helmet, it's all painted - that's unusual'. Seem to remember that that was the extent of the bike content of her interview with him.

Old Ned":1669hezt said:
Guess what guys, I've been digging through my stash of video tapes looking for my old TDF ones and come across a tape which has at least 3 half-hour episodes of the above (I haven't finished viewing it yet) that feature the 1992 7-Up BMBF Championship races (and some shots of the Worlds and Grundigs).

There's Margam Park,

I remember that race, mainly as the camera man nearly knocked me off as he stepped out infront of me at the starting sprint! :LOL: .look for some skinny kid swerving right past the camera ....

could you upload the vids to youtube & post a link?

That would be ace if you could get them on You Tube...what memories...

Still haven't quite finished the tape yet but it has all the BMBF series events and the '92 national championships plus an overview of the World Cup series.

What I can't understand is - how come I can't remember watching it before? :?

I must have taped it while watching as I've paused recording to miss adverts etc. but it all seems very new to me.

Somewhere I should also have a tape with some of the MTB Tour of Britain stages on it and a cyclo-cross national and world champs. A bit more research required!

Regarding YouTube, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do this and there's to much material.

Back