Seat tube cracked just beneath collar

onyerbike531

Retro Guru
Hello

I have an old Raleigh Yukon, the orange and yellow model from the early nineties which I picked up from a house clearance shop.

I've noticed the seatpost slips a few mm every time I ride it, I've realised the person who previously had the bike had put the wrong sized post in the frame and clamped it up tight so there's no gap between the collar and a small crease has appeared beneath that, on closer inspection I've realised this is a tiny hairline crack about 4mm long.

With the correct sized seat post and with the clamp tightened correctly will the bike be ok to ride? Would it be advisable to drill a hole where the crack ends to stop any further propagation, I don't want to have to junk the frame because I've put a lot into getting the bike running nicely.

I'm a deliveroo courier and can't afford to keep missing out on work, I plan to ride it and inspect regularly and stop if the crack propagates past the sharpie marker I've put on it.

I thought I should mention the frame is Reynolds 501 ATB tubing.

What would your suggestions be?

Thanks

Re:

I think with the right size post and a long one so lots inside the frame you should be fine. If you want to be extra sure, get a good quality clamp. It is unlikely to flex the frame where the crack is, you could even extend the slot through the crack and drill the end to be extra safe.

Re:

Thanks for your suggestions, I ended up drilling a hole just below the crack and extended the slot down to meet that, the hole is a bit off centre but still managed to bring the slot down to meet it, filed any rough edges internally, it's crude but it seems to have done the trick. I'm just waiting on a new seatpost, opted for a 400mm one so there will be plenty in the frame, the collar is nice and thick, (lugged frame you see). Clamp is nice and sturdy and will make sure it's done up securely. I will inspect regularly and probably see about getting it brazed up when I've got a bit more money.

Thanks again

Re:

Glad you got it sorted. Always concerns me that people don't use the right sized parts fir the job.

Back