Orange Formula

gump

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi, Just wondering whether there were any of these still about.

They were custom made in early 90's and came with a one piece bar/stem combo. Nice bike, came in matt black. Must be of retro stylee now.

Any views or news?

It was riding this and a clockwork which made me purchase the Aluminium O.

There is a guy at work here who really does not ride much, and bought a second hand bike from a mate who told him it was quite a good one, but a bit old.
Turns out it was an Aluminium O that had been reasonably pimped. RC35, Royce BB, Hope hubs, XT, ti and anodised alu bolts all over etc etc. Pretty nice bike and all from same period in very tidy condition. It is a 19", he is 5'6" and has the seat right down :cry:

He paid £170, so I offered him £200 and he say no. As I used to have one, sentimentality kicked in and offered £250. He still say no :shock:
Unfortunately to him it is 'just a bike' but seems to work OK.

Ah well.

You could always offer to but him another bike that fits. If he doesn't know too much a cheapo from Halfords would do the trick.

What was the Orange Formula? The bar and stem combo? Didn't they have a ti bike for a while?

keep plugging away. if he doesnt ride an awful lot he might give in eventually ;D

what about mail orange direct & ask if they know of anyone with you?

formula was a frame. what year was that? 87? I remeber some bloke who used to do the mtb wales races in the late 80s had 1 (dates are a blur!). all in stealth black. very nice & scary light for the time.

the titanium bike was the Vit T. you seem them crop up for sale fairly often on STW. do a search :)

..Vitamin T. Of course!

What was the formula made out of ? I can only remember the clockwork, prestige, aluminium o etc.

The formula was made from Tange Prestige, before the ultralight/ultrastrong variations. Geometry was custom to suit the person. Nice bike, and yes very light! For some reason it came with rack eyes IIRC, these were soon wipped off with an angle grinder though.
The guy I rode with had one, but it broke. Returned it to Orange that no longer made them, and got given an Aluminium Elite. Doh!!! Should have had it repaired!!

I think this was a 90 or 91 vintage.

RE Ali O
Have tried the 'I'll buy you a bike that fits - up to £300 - with forks that work and many more gears, better brakes etc' (I can get discount) - and he still say no :cry:

Even tried the 'I'll give you £30 + a new XT BB for the Royce - if you notice a difference you can have it back'. Guess what he said? :evil:

He knows it is quite good for the day, cos I drooled a bit when he showed me ;)

gump":3571pzv1 said:
RE Ali O
Have tried the 'I'll buy you a bike that fits - up to £300 - with forks that work and many more gears, better brakes etc' (I can get discount) - and he still say no :cry:

Even tried the 'I'll give you £30 + a new XT BB for the Royce - if you notice a difference you can have it back'. Guess what he said? :evil:

He knows it is quite good for the day, cos I drooled a bit when he showed me ;)

Human nature :roll:

He knows you want it which is probably why he won't sell it. You can either
a) Totally drop the subject for a couple of months, then try again.
b) Take him riding. One nut-crunching landing on the top tube should be enough to convinve him it's too big.
c) Cry. Make him feel guilty. Make up a story of some sorts.
d) Beat him up and nick it :D

Back