Project Alpinestar's begin's.

goodas12003

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Everyone, just got my new project in the post this morning. It is a Alpinestar's Al-Mega. It came with deore crankset, b/b, seatpost and clamp and front mech. Gave it a good look over for crack's and all seem's fine (Thank god!). So, the first thing i need to do is try and suss out a set of 1"1/4 fork's for it or do any of you know another way round it like a reducer to 1"1/8 (does such a thing exist?). I was hoping the paint was going to be ok for the time being but it is ultra crap so going to strip it bare but cant decide whether to polish it or paint it myself in some loud colour. Any opinion's from you guy's would be appreciated. If you have a set of fork's knocking about let me know and we can come to some arrangement. Cheer's Dave. :D

Attachments

• alpine shed.jpg
    alpine shed.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 972
WOW! I always love those E-stay Alpinestars :)

I saw this around somewhere, didn't the seller call it Peugot blue or something?? This could build up to be a very very cool bike.

If I were you, I'd strip it and then polish it up and try to get some new decals for it. I always loved the Al-Mega XT and XTR models that were polished (I think the 1992 models were?).

A 1.1/4" fork shouldn't be too hard to find, and if you wanna go suspension I think a Manitou 2 would be a good idea. You can get those quite easily and the steerers are changeable.

Take it easy and make it a good build :twisted:

that;s cool. just watch steep descents when you ride it. you'll be over the bars before you know what hit you!

the paint looks good, dont swap it, and yes you can get headset reducers, check out the BETD website.

updated alpine project

Hi All, started cleaning up some part's today so as i can do a dry build of the bike with stuff i have lying around. I managed to sort the oversize headset problem out thou, thought id measure what the frame came with and the previous owner has already fitted a reducer kit into the frame and has kindly included a new 1" 1/8 richey headset so i dont have to find any 1" 1/4 fork's RESULT! I do need some 1" 1/8 fork's now though and i think im gona put rigid fork's on so if anyone out there has some nice light v brake fork's with at least 165 mm of steerer then please let me know. I might possibly consider a light suspension fork as a last resort. The frame came with a nice cannondale seatpost and ive topped it with a new alloy railed Kappa Prologue saddle. I have fitted a deore chainset and a rear deore dx derailier. All this is just going on to get the bike up and running and then i will strip it as the paint job is crap. I did i stupid thing thou, out of habit i alway's put some protection on the chainstay to prevent scratches and as you can see from the photo, i obviously forgot what i was working on as i need not of bothered! Think im going to need a few link's taking out of the chain. So it's down to some fork's now as im stuck till i get my grubby's on a set. Thank's Dave. :D

Attachments

• build begins.jpg
    build begins.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 837
Back