M900 shifter cannibalisation

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I can't find a set of cantilever specific XTR levers anywhere so I've bought a set of cheapo M900 shift/lever units, the shifters are broken on both sides but I bought them with the intention of cutting off the shifter mountings and using the brake levers with thumbies.

Anyone got any experience of this 'op' and able to give any helpful hints or tips?

Did this myself to XT of the same era many years ago.

Cut off the thin branch holding the shifter plate on about 2mm from the brake lever body and file back. If you cut too close you will get a flat spot. Be careful, Measure twice cut once!

If you are interested I have a pair of 100% XT 7 speed RFP units which will hang on those levers if you wanted Rapid fire plus shifting.

Cheers Pete.

I'm greedy, I already have a decent pair of M900 shifters/levers that I can use but I thought I'd experiment with thumbies again so bought the knackered set.

I tend to buy four different configurations of kit before settling on the final build :)

u can fit XT thumbies alongside M900 brake levers (with shifters removed) without any sawing of the shifter perch.

I've got a pair of pristine M900 shifters if anyone needs a set ;)

scant":2jvh5sp9 said:
u can fit XT thumbies alongside M900 brake levers (with shifters removed) without any sawing of the shifter perch.

I've got a pair of pristine M900 shifters if anyone needs a set ;)

yup, no need to cut off anything, they fit perfectly.

Carsten

Pict2270.jpg

Oooo, Carsten, I've been looking for some decent Syncros bars, do me a favour and send me yours will you? Cheers.

Russell":3imgkdcz said:
Oooo, Carsten, I've been looking for some decent Syncros bars, do me a favour and send me yours will you? Cheers.

if the bikes going to be split down dibs the frame please :D :LOL:

Latest posts

Back