Kool wiv da kidz!

beepbeep

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So there I was on my Hei Hei taking a leisurely sunny Sunday cruise round town when two pre-teen thugs riding monster jump/street hardtails rode past and stopped me...

"That's a really cool bike you've good there!" They said, I was of course well pleased that my efforts had been noticed by someone :D

They turned out to be nice kids, they asked me about all the parts, picked the bike up to feel how light it was (not that light actually!) and loved the bling-bling anodized parts.

I got to thinking that some of the parts were older than them, freaky. But perhaps in the future people will still be into the 'golden' years of MTBing just like I'm into the hot rodding days that happened before I was born.

I think most of us here lived through the 'best' days of MTB development but as time moves on it'll be interesting to see how people that didn't witness that time will continue our hobby....

thats an interesting thought. i assume most of the members of this site are late twenties at the youngest and we were there when it all happened. when we snuff it will there be another generation to take our place? i cant really ever see current modern bikes being desirable in the same way we search for the old favourites from yesteryear. having said that, as a young beetle owner, i never thought modern golf gti's would become classics. but i think thats different really.

my point is i dont think i will ever sell my old kona. it means something to me. if someone offered the right money for my 2008 cinder cone it would be by by baby!

I'm sure it's been discussed here before but to me it seems that the golden/classic era in anything is that short time of real development, fresh ideas and more importantly SOUL before the thing goes mainstream.

Hence the Golf GTI has that status now, because it was the first (or one of the first) 'pocket rocket' cars which are everywhere now with higher performance, better safety, etc but no soul, they're just pop-out/copycat versions.

That's what I reckon anyway.... ;)

Back