single speed chainring advice

guybe

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello, I need some info, as I am new to single speed stuff and I have a chance to buy a single speed chainring but noticed in the photo that given to me, there is two teeth is smaller than the rest of the teeth, is that normal for a single speed chainring ring? here is the photo below, the two short teeth is one on top and other is at the bottom.

Attachments

• singlespeed chainring.jpg
    singlespeed chainring.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 842
A true ss chainring would have all the teeth exactly the same I think (like the ring on a pista chainset). However what you really don't want are ramps or pins and the one pictured has neither so i reckon you would be fine with it.

As always, this is far from a definitive view

I'm of the same opinion as EdEdwards. I use DH rings for my single speed and 1x9er. But again, that's just my opinion :cool:

Guy, The two teeth missing is for shifting, shimano chainrings have this to help chain move between rings at the correct pedal stroke.......... so they say. If you are gunna use this you will need to ensure chain line is straight as can be.

Nice, a stainless steel ONZA buzzsaw chainring from the early nineties.

SS = Stainless Steel

The short teeth are to aid shifting, they are better than not having short teeth for this purpose but nowhere near as good as modern ramps and pins.

It will work fine as long as your chain is not too slack and your chainline is nice and straight - in my opinion, I used fully ramped and pinned chainrings and a rear hyperglide sprocket for a good few rides without it slipping (before I got scared and got non ramped stuff).

it says ss on the chainring........ does this stand for single speed ?

if it does.... why would it still have the smaller shifting teeth ?

As others have already mentioned...that doesn't look like a SS ring to me, nor does it look in fine condition ( but that might be the shadows) .
I would get a DH ring (Gusset ones are good) or Surly etc..check out charliethebikemonger on Ebay.

as mentioned before SS on this Ring means Stainless Steel, These Onza Buzz saws where one of the most durable rings I've ever used. Think they'll do pretty good for a Single Speed.... not too sure about the condition of the one pictured above though :?

Back