Kona Sex-One

thundercatrider

Dirt Disciple
Just got my self a Kona Sex-one thinking it will dead easy to get up and running again. Then realised that I haven't actually owned a MTB for 10 years and things have moved on. What was availble new no longer is - 26" wheel forks!!

Managed to find a service kit for the forks so will attack that part of the re-build as soon as it arrives. Just looking at the rear shock - anyone know of a suitable replacement item - something decent as all I'm finding is cheap new stuff on ebay.

Plan is to get what I have working then think about upgrading bits. Like the idea of fitting disc brakes so will need new forks at some point. Will also be on the lookout for suitable wheels

My first time attempting a MTB rebuild so lots to learn!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

What year is it? they made them for 2 years and changed the design the second.

Pictures are always welcome here ;) :D

Re:

I think its a 1996 but I'm not sure what to look for - let me know the clues?

I will post pics but I have already started the strip down - forks so far.

Its a nice spec - Marzocchi XCR forks, XT and XTR brakes plus more.

We dont mind pictures of bikes or parts in any stage of strip clean or build :)

A picture of a '95 and a '96

Attachments

• 96 Sex one.jpg
    96 Sex one.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 734
  • 95 Sex one.jpg
    95 Sex one.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 734
Most are 1995 as they look nicer :)

Pictures pictures pictures, even if it's just putting a cable ned on an inner wire.
Rambles of what you're doing even if pointless.
You may not get replies, but people do read and watch :)

Picture need to be less than 3MB now (which is a god send if you are used to what we had a year ago!). On a phone you can shrink them with an app if needed, so you can attach. Often it's easier just to set the resolution when taking them lower.

Others link to external sites, but some are a pain in the arse for readers as they keep taking you to their site when trying to enlarge and it does my head in ;-)

Took some photos but they really don't show anything - just frame and box of bits so haven't posted them.

Few discoveries during strip down:

Bottom bracket is a cheap and nasty unit which wasn't even done up properly. Now looking for something new and a bit bet quality. Currently a 68 x 118 unit so if anyone has any suggestions that would be appreciated.

Cables are brittle and nakered as are most of the outers so will be replacing. No big deal and was expecting this on a 25 yr old bike.

On the hole its in pretty good condition - a few scuffs and scrapes but not to bad. Should clean up okay.

Biggest issue currently will be the rear shock. Its 135mm and I can't find anything new to fit - smallest I can find is 145mm. Anyone know of something decent that will work?

Started looking at a few choice upgrades. It seems Hope still do 26" wheels but will be disc brakes only so I was looking at how that could work. Do-able providing I can find a decent fork.

Its amazing how this has already got out of control!! I'm already thinking about new brakes, wheels, shocks, maybe hollowtech BB + crank - ideally a single crank, rear set and mech - maybe a 10 speed, definately a new saddle - probably a fizik as I've had before and really liked, disk brakes - probably XT or similar.

First things first. Front shock re-furb - parts on order, rear shock replacement, BB replacement and cables. At least then I can ride it and start the smiles coming once again!

Re:

What crank is it?
length is determined by the crank (and partly the frame), given you say it wasn't really fitted its worth a check (as 118 isn't an often used length)

what was the cheap unit, anything UN54 ish is decent.

The BB is a VP-BC73 - my mistake it is 68 x 113. The brand is IP. A quick google search shows its available from Halfords for £10ish

Crank is Shimano STX

Re:

bottom bracket will work fine, not posh titanium, but not mega crap.

There are quite a few different STX, they all have number one the back

They usual take a 110 bottom bracket for the 47.5 standard chainlike and 113 for the 50mm chainline

Suspension bike so 113 may be the better choice?
that's if you are keeping those cranks. check the rings.

Back