Ideal retro bike for XC mara/endurance

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
What bike do you reckon would make a good XC marathon bike or 10/12hr endurance type events. Full sus? Ti? Steel?

My FAT SAB. Its all day comfy with smooth suspension and its sub 24LBS, climbs well, accelerates well.... pretty damn perfect ;)

Si

I had a very early Marin Mt.Vision. It had the later rear swingarm (replaced under warranty) with whatever the favourite RS rear shock was of the day, Judy DH front end and M750 XT - it was a fantastic all day ride with a rear end that was stiff enough to allow wheel spins - it is still out there somewhere and I do miss it.

Indeed the SAB seems a perfect choice. LGF was that the tubular frame one kinda crossing over each other ?

kaiser":37xynau8 said:
Indeed the SAB seems a perfect choice

It's going to be my weapon on choice for next years Mountain Mayhem :D

Will probably change the fork for the occasion to a longer travel AMP F4-DH as its a little low at the front for a longer haul.

I'd say for a UK marathon bike you want something that can cope with claggy mud and grit and still come back for more. This year mud clearance was essential for MM and other events, and a lot of old full sus suffer from tight chainstays or daft ledges behind the BB to colllect mud(can't comment on the SAB, but my old LTS wasn't great).

kaiser":2f056vt4 said:
What bike do you reckon would make a good XC marathon bike or 10/12hr endurance type events. Full sus? Ti? Steel?
Something that's comfy* & reliable* with oodles of mud clearance*.

Orange sub5 or 5 should do the trick nicely, ok so 5" travel does seem like a lot, but you'll fly on the descents, which should equalise the slightly more difficult climbs with the slacker head angle (68.5deg to 71deg depending on which year model). Plenty of clearance on the frames too for all that lovely mud ;)

As for retro any that matches the above criteria* I'd guess.

Back