Anyone else get funny looks?

HardLandRider

Retro Newbie
Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone else gets those funny looks from other mountain bikers whilst riding their retro bikes. :?

I ride my Hardland just about everyday and I may be the only person on my local trails that still rides a 26" wheel, has v-brakes, and prefers the old 50/50 geometry versus the bikes that are out now. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be on a brand new YETI or Salsa but it's not in the cards for me right now so my retro bike is my main ride (and I love it).

I get some pretty weird looks when I'm out there and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Re:

Sadly I find there's an element of elitism/snobbery around bikes, it has to be new, with carbon frames, 150mm drop, hydraulic brakes etc, etc.

Sometimes I get people double taking, or people taking pity as I ride an old bike :LOL:

But I also get admiring nods from similar aged riders on Retros when I ride my Kona :cool:

I do get looks when out on one of my retro rides, but I wouldn't necessarily refer to those as funny; they're mostly surprised and interested looks, perhaps sometimes with a sense of pity.

26" ain't dead ;)!

Re: Re:

widowmaker":3bu36vt2 said:
Sadly I find there's an element of elitism/snobbery around bikes, it has to be new, with carbon frames, 150mm drop, hydraulic brakes etc, etc.
That's not new, right? Was the same back in the early 90's (albeit oversized aluminum frames, 60mm travel and Magura hs33, perhaps..).

Double-E F":r5nrd7ic said:
widowmaker":r5nrd7ic said:
That's not new, right? Was the same back in the early 90's (albeit aluminum, 60mm and Magura, perhaps..).

Maybe not, but I never noticed it in the 90's :LOL:

I only seem to raise eyebrows! :LOL:

However, my lads Marin regularly gets a ton of comments... I think perhaps because he’s 13..& also it is immaculate... & weighs about the same as an E-bikes battery.... ;)

widowmaker":km5yxvg3 said:
Double-E F":km5yxvg3 said:
widowmaker":km5yxvg3 said:
That's not new, right? Was the same back in the early 90's (albeit aluminum, 60mm and Magura, perhaps..).

Maybe not, but I never noticed it in the 90's :LOL:

I didn't either... but then I never bumped into anyone riding bikes from the 1970. Had we have done so I fear we might have laughed and said WTF is granddad on

I got some funny looks in the car park at Gisburn Forest a few years back when getting my '95 Specialized FSR out of the car. It seemed to be the lack of disc brakes that was most eyebrow raising. There was nothing there that I couldn't have ridden on a rigid.

It doesn't bother me.

I am equally baffled at the lack of skill most riders of 150mm travel bikes appear to have!

Though's that’s know, get it and I get some nice comments, the riders that just bought all the cool stuff and only ride” downhill bro” don’t, and that’s fine......cos I can usually still whip them on a 25 year old pace haha

Re:

Have had compliments on my Orange at Haldon. I generally don't think anyone is particularly interested in me and my bikes though. I have to come on here for that. Even here nobody is all that impressed.

I wouldn't mind the odd funny look.

Back