S-works frame number

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A little help with an S-works frame number...think it might be a Team Issue?
96s4m02807

96 Year
S S-works
4M M4 :?:

Cheers, Carl

S Works

Hi mate
Just in from work and will double check this and get back to you but it looks like, from memory
second digit = year = so 6 =1996
S = S works
4 = month = april
The M stands for where it was built.
It seems like a 96 M2 S works built in april. M4 was first introduced for the 99 model year. I will check my numbers and sequence again after I have a coffee :roll: I will also check with mine as I have a 96 S works team and a 99 M4 S works :D

Hope this helps and I will be back soon.
I have been away since Sat for work, a last minute thing and my brain is fried but am sure its april 96 S works.
Jamie

S Works

Hi mate
Checked and thats a 96 for sure, mine is the same with the exception of the final four numbers, but its an april as well.
All 96 S works hardtails, steel and M2 were team issue, in that they had the team decal on the top tube, right hand side only. This was because the geometry was tweaked from the previous years. As far as I know they were sold as frame sets only with a kit you could purchase with it which was either an xt kit or an S works kit, there was also a super race kit but not quite sure what was in that one.
I have the dealer tech manual for 96, if your interested I can scan the S works pages and send them across.
I remember you had a S works for sale a while back, is this the same bike? maybe not, if I remember that was a rare one.
Anyway, let me know what you have, as I am a curious now.
Cheers

Jamie

Back