Restoration Techniques / Tips?

ridevintagemtb

BoTY Winner
Kona Fan
Hi All -

The lava dome is almost here, ready to be stripped, repainted, and rebuilt. I've done other projects, but this is my first "real" rebuild...

After talking with the powder coater, he said it'd be hell sandblasting the old paint off and I should do it with aircraft paint remover... which I've done before, but it took a long time. How long do y'all leave it on there for? What do you use to scrape it off with?

In addition, what are some good tips for cleaning up old parts? Degreasers? Polishers? simple soap and water?

Thanks for you help.

I have always used a frame builder to paint my bikes, they acid dip the frame to remove all that stuff. So I can't help.

As for the other bits, washing powder and hot water is brilliant at cleaning anything, use a stiff brush and a tooth brush for fiddly bits. After that a cotton bud and some light oil or spray lube will finish it off.

DON'T put any alloy through the dishwasher! I once made an XT front mech turn white doing this. I's just too aggressive! :shock:

However I once brought up a set of hub bodies beautifly by putting them in a cloth bag and putting them throught the wash on a 40 degree C wash :LOL:

No substitute for time and effort I'm afraid!

Nitromors paint stripper is the biz, get it in any B&Q etc ...

Wire wool is great for bringing back the shine on dull alloy parts :)

I use Nitromor as well .

I paint my frames with a can from Halfords . Far from perfect but good enough for me .

Hey guy,

Question I have...is it powder coated now or wet paint.

Best way to strip powder is to take the frame to a decoater and have a salt patch strip done, otherwise, plan on spending the next year laboring needlessly.

Wet paint strips best in a MEK bath. Immerse overnight and then beadblast for final cleaning.

cheers,

rody

For cleaning small parts you can pick up an ultrasonic bath for next to nothing these days, fill it with degreaser and away you go.

excuse my ignorance (plus i'm v.curious to know as i like doing total refurbs!) .. whats a ultrasonic bath, how does it work, used for which parts?

I've paint stripped a 3 layers of powder coat yeti & concur with rody, it took f'kin ages :roll:

Since its a 1994 with original paint, I doubt it's powder coat, but I really have no idea. When I re-did my 1994 Trek 7000 which is now my work bike, it took forever to strip the paint. How long do you guys leave the stripper on for?

Electronics companies use ultrasonic baths to clean circuit boards and you often find them in hospitals. You can get small ones from E-bay for about £20. The ultrasonic bath won't clean off paint, but if you want to clean or degrease hubs or gear parts it works really well. If you use MEK or solvent go careful as they become very flammable.

Moonkatuk":jjazbapm said:
Electronics companies use ultrasonic baths to clean circuit boards and you often find them in hospitals. You can get small ones from E-bay for about £20. The ultrasonic bath won't clean off paint, but if you want to clean or degrease hubs or gear parts it works really well. If you use MEK or solvent go careful as they become very flammable.

ta for info :)

I paint stripped an old yo eddy & the paint bubbled up before my eyes. scary fast! did a yeti as & only slight bubbling after 3hours... needed 3 applications too :(

Back