Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm
Posts: 14
MR OX wrote:
If your in Bristol I'd head to the local bike charity, apparently the one your way is pretty good, usually have some knowledgeable people there. Also if you want a coloured frame, check out some of the earlier 90's stuff Bravado, Karakoram etc.


It's funny you say that, I do know one of the guys who runs Bristol Bike Project. I will chat to him about this also, lock down has closed the place for a long tome now though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm
Posts: 470
Location: BURGOS. Castilla y León. ESPAÑA
Rtdread wrote:
madjh wrote:
I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.



Nice bike, I will follow your project if you are posting on here. What do you think of Tequesta and Tempest?


Taquesa is quite similar than the Timberline but with Stx intead of a mix of Altus in 1995 (in 1999 the timberline was STX and alivio). It is a nice bicycle. The Karakoram is the top range of steel frames.

Tempest was the cheapest alumium bicycle but it could be a project if you like, if it is in good condition and if the price is good too.

In 1995 this was what it was sell in my country from low range to high end bicycles:

Outpost 415 euros of that era
Talera 450 euros
Timberline 580 euros
Rebound 644 euros
Tempest 661 euros
Taquesa 703 euros
Karakoram 992 euros
Backwoods 787 euros
Avalanche 1260 euros
Timberline FS 794 euros
Ricochet 1051 euros
RTS-3 1501 Euros
Zaskar 1739 euros
Zaskar RS 2282 euros
Zaskar LE 3840 euros
RST-1 3197 euros
Team RTS 4673 euros
Team LTS 4946 euros

This prices were in my country in 1995. It will give you an idea wich one is better than the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm
Posts: 14
madjh wrote:
Rtdread wrote:
madjh wrote:
I have one as a project I haven´t started yet, it is a timberline. It was a mid -low range with STX and Alivio from mid 90s. It is steel and looks quite nice, a good start for a not very expensive project. But I don´t know what to do with this project, I would like to participate in some mtb events but with the covid all have been suspended.

I like more the steel GT frames than the aluminium ones, If you see a karakoram, go for it, it is quite nice but I haven´t found one in good original condition.



Nice bike, I will follow your project if you are posting on here. What do you think of Tequesta and Tempest?




Taquesa is quite similar than the Timberline but with Stx intead of a mix of Altus in 1995 (in 1999 the timberline was STX and alivio). It is a nice bicycle. The Karakoram is the top range of steel frames.

Tempest was the cheapest alumium bicycle but it could be a project if you like, if it is in good condition and if the price is good too.

In 1995 this was what it was sell in my country from low range to high end bicycles:

Outpost 415 euros of that era
Talera 450 euros
Timberline 580 euros
Rebound 644 euros
Tempest 661 euros
Taquesa 703 euros
Karakoram 992 euros
Backwoods 787 euros
Avalanche 1260 euros
Timberline FS 794 euros
Ricochet 1051 euros
RTS-3 1501 Euros
Zaskar 1739 euros
Zaskar RS 2282 euros
Zaskar LE 3840 euros
RST-1 3197 euros
Team RTS 4673 euros
Team LTS 4946 euros

This prices were in my country in 1995. It will give you an idea wich one is better than the others.



Really helpful that, thank you. A 1996 Zazkar LE silver with Yellow forks. What are the thoughts on that? Worth going for or hood out for an earlier model? It is suspension so would probably change the forks if I went for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:27 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Buckinghamshire
I have a Rebound project if you are interested. Also have a set of wheels available.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=414211

PM me if interested, can meet half way for the cost of fuel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm
Posts: 14
streen wrote:
I have a Rebound project if you are interested. Also have a set of wheels available.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=414211

PM me if interested, can meet half way for the cost of fuel.


Appreciate the offer, thank you. I will keep looking for now as I’m becoming a bit obsessed with finding a Zaskar or similar now. Also considering a Ricochet.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:49 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am
Posts: 14
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
madjh wrote:
Rtdread wrote:
madjh wrote:
The Karakoram is the top range of steel frames.



Karakoram is a solid choice, but in most years one or more of these steel frames were above it:

Avalanche
Team Avalanche
Bravado
Corrado
Psyclone
Cyclone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:40 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm
Posts: 14
I’m considering a pinky purple Ricochet, has Rockshox forks. From what I can tell after hours of reading, it’s probably a 1995 model. Does anyone know more than this? It has not been modified or painted so I’m confident of the model and colour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:20 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm
Posts: 470
Location: BURGOS. Castilla y León. ESPAÑA
It depends on your preferences, all models can be a proyect. Usually you like one model more than others so it could be easy but if you don´t kno, go for the best looking one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:28 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:11 pm
Posts: 14
madjh wrote:
It depends on your preferences, all models can be a proyect. Usually you like one model more than others so it could be easy but if you don´t kno, go for the best looking one.


Sadly I have since found out that the bike is actually a 20" and too big for me. The search continues! Just like I do with everything however I will become completely obsessed with this and end up spending a shed load on something I set out to spend £150 on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:46 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:41 pm
Posts: 470
Location: BURGOS. Castilla y León. ESPAÑA
It took me more than 10 years to find my dream bike in the condition I liked ... New. Sice I bought I haven´t seen any one more. So, take your time. If you want a Zaskar LE, go for it. Check all the market and wait for the perfect bicycle. It will come one day or annother :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clockwork davo, gmtfd, Google Adsense [Bot], hamster, retrobikeguy, Tad and 60 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group