First ever Night Ride

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Went out last night for my first ever night ride. Didn’t really have the appropriate lighting (a crappy cat eye piece of sh*t strapped to my handlebars with electrical tape) but managed to just about see mainly thanks to the other guys I was with and their big old spot lights.

And

I loved it, what a great fun way to ride, have to admit that the downhills were a bit hairy in places when I was riding virtually blind, and the sudden deep puddles that try and chuck you into a nearby tree were a good challenge.. but overall a very enjoyable two hours and a nice bunch of lads I hadn’t met before (cheers to cchris2lou for putting me in touch with them.) So, will be out at the weekend to get some proper lighting and then hopefully back on the nocturnal trails asap..

32 and still learning new tricks .. the joys of MTB’ing

Note to self - wear long sleeves next time as am covered in nettle stings and thorn scratches ...

did you got with the Silly Kents ?

shame they re a bit far for me .

I have decided for some Electron lights , a 5 watt and a 10 watt . not dark enough yet to have a good idea , but they seem ok .
with all your training I think I am going to be at the back again on sunday . :LOL:

yes, it was indeed with the Silly Kents . nice bunch, and indeed a shame it's a bit of a trek for you..

Was hoping that Sunday will be a tame affair, I'll be with you at the back watching Sylvain disappear into the distance !

Night riding is always a good laugh. Easily worth the £100 or so for the lights, as even your local trails surprise you in the dark. :LOL:

call me anti-socal but I prefer night-riding on my own. Theres something about the atmosphere, the quiet and stillness, all you can see is your front wheel and hear the sound of your own breath and the crunch of the ground. Stop for a while, switch off your lights and watch for any wildlife that comes out to play.

Me too - what a laff!

I just bought some of these: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ights.html
Electron 5w Ni-Mh Rechargeable Light System - see 4th item down.
I don't mean to plug merlin - in fact I bought mine from the LBS for £5 more!

A good budget system which turns brilliant if you pop in a MR11 10W bulb from Maplins (£2.45)

These babies burn for 5 hrs at 5W and approx 2-3 hrs with the 10W bulb in.
For less than £40 I really recommend them. Just watch out for the charger though - there's no timer on it.

5W is ok for slow riding but the 10W bulb is brilliant!

Back