Lava Dome wheels?

Flasher

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new around here and wonder if I can get some advice :)

I have a pretty excellent condition 1990 Lava Dome (white), the only thing not so good are the wheels. The rear has had a new rim (Mavic 231) at some stage, looks to be on the original hub but is well out of true and the front looks to be original but well and truly rusted. The hubs (Suntour) look to be in good nick.

So what to do, should I:

a) Buy a completely new set of wheels.

or

b) Renovate using the original hubs onto new spokes and rims.

Where should I be looking to buy/renovate the wheels, and what rims/ hubs should I be thinking of. I assume there must be some good wheel builders out there that can take this on?

cheers,
Flasher :cool:

Flasher":ao2w3986 said:
Hi guys, I'm new around here and wonder if I can get some advice :)
I have a pretty excellent condition 1990 Lava Dome (white), the only thing not so good are the wheels. The rear has had a new rim (Mavic 231) at some stage, looks to be on the original hub but is well out of true and the front looks to be original but well and truly rusted. The hubs (Suntour) look to be in good nick.
So what to do, should I:
a) Buy a completely new set of wheels.
or
b) Renovate using the original hubs onto new spokes and rims.
Where should I be looking to buy/renovate the wheels, and what rims/ hubs should I be thinking of. I assume there must be some good wheel builders out there that can take this on?
cheers,
Flasher :cool:
There's nothing much wrong with a Mavic 231 really - if it's out of true owing to damage then it may need to be binned, but if it has just gone out of true, then truing a wheel is quite easy and I suggest you try that first.

Having a new rim put on the front wheel will cost about as much as a new wheel (new wheels best from Merlin Cycles), but on the other hand the trouble with new wheels is they tend to look too flash for a retro bike.

The choice is yours really, modern parts is the easiest solution, but modern parts on a retro frame doesn't always look right.

Back