spoke lengths wheel building sorted thanks

rodtrotters74

Retro Guru
as description seen as though we are in lock down have a set of wheels that need rebuilding.i can true a wheel up change a spoke but thought have a go at properly building a set just spoke lengths how many cross etc bit confusing tried spoke calculators still a bit confusing.the wheels i am building are mavic d521 rim stx rc hb mc33 front hub 32 hole and a mavic d321 disc rim on xt fh m756 disc hub 32 hole .like to have a go myself before lbs last time it was £60 per wheel so if i can do it myself more money spend on bits

Re: Re:

bluetomgold":3tiaxwqi said:
Measure the existing spokes... replace one at a time?

I'm currently on my first attempt at relacing.
Measured for spoke length required.....was £12 for 36 15g stainless dt champion spokes for front, and £7.99 for 18 of same spokes two different lengths required for rear.
Came with brass nipples too but ordered some blue spline drive nipples for £10.

Loosened spokes off equally then replaced one at a time, tightened them up in small increments across the spokes.

A decent spoke wrench is a must.

Re:

thats a good on price on spokes have a park truing stand and park spoke keys just time to put to use.will have a look at sapin.

Re:

When I took the plunge and built a set of wheels myself (first of a few), I found the cycle clinic really helpful. They advised on the right spoke lengths I needed and their pricing and service was really good. Even if I found a cheaper supply, I'd still buy from them again.

Re:

I built my first wheel after watching this video it's a really good wheel building guide

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p2jTrJYJGd8

Was pretty easy just following the steps.

I also got my spokes from tartybikes.co.uk if you tell them the hub and rim your using and how many cross you want they will calculate the spoke lengths for you.

Kyle

Re: spoke lengths wheel building

Thanks for the help managed to order correct spokes I need. Checked on a couple of sites just to make sure I'm ordering the right ones.had a couple of rubbish wheels I've pulled apart to have a practice on which went well putting back.ordered sapin spokes which only came in at £27 so cheaper than last lbs outing.

Latest posts

Back