I need a spoke.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

I need a spoke for one of my wheels. It went 'Pop' years ago on a ride with Fluffychicken and ChrisV40 at Sherwood Pines. It was on the bike in my avatar hehe. I went over a jump and the spoke popped, this was the same day I miss timed a jump, foot slipped off my pedal and upon landing I wrote off my Bontrager Ti saddle, gutted hehe.

The problem I have is that I have no idea what spoke to buy, iv'e just never had to do it before. The wheel has an XT FH-M732 and has something like a Mavic rim.

Help!

I'm in the process of building a karma bike for my neighbours wife and wanted to use these old and unwanted wheels for it.

What do I buy and from where? Can I buy a single spoke?

Ta

Trebz

Single spokes are easy - eBay or your LBS. Measure the old spoke (for 26" wheels it will be somewhere aropund 260mm). Should be £3 or so.

Re:

You can get a single spoke & nipple, if buying from ebay its probably cheaper/as cheap to buy 3 or 5 spokes, delivered.
Better bet might be to take the wheel to your lbs (if they're open), they should have a spoke and would probably fit it as well, saves measuring the spoke too.
If the spoke is broken and you need to measure then you can remove another spoke from the same side to measure.

Re: Re:

jimo746":3n4ss32m said:
You can get a single spoke & nipple, if buying from ebay its probably cheaper/as cheap to buy 3 or 5 spokes, delivered.
Better bet might be to take the wheel to your lbs (if they're open), they should have a spoke and would probably fit it as well, saves measuring the spoke too.
If the spoke is broken and you need to measure then you can remove another spoke from the same side to measure.

Hehe, you said nipple.

An older bike shop may have a spoke threader, I know we had one at the shop I worked at 35 years ago. Then they have all spokes in stock.

B

Back