brake/gear cable cutters

richie-t

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
can anyone give me some 'cost effective' solutions to this?

I appreciate 25 quid park tool ones will be awesome but this tool is likely to get very little use in the grand scheme of things.

second hand maybe?

For a rough as a badgers approach, try a set of pliers, i.e. the cutting bit and hit the grips with a hammer. Nice hard surface and if the pliers have no plastic grips all the better. Remember to protect your eyes though. :LOL:

Any good quality high leverage cutters will do the job, normal pliers tend to crush the cable before they cut into it.

I'm lucky as i work with shipping containers and take bits of cable into the work to use their wire seal cutters.

if you are using pliers then wrap some electrical tape around the cable as tight as you can. Not more than 2 layers though!!!

then cut through electrical tape and it holds cable together. If you cut toward to bottom of the tape (ie leave a minimal amount of tape on the cable) the cable end cap actually fits on over the tape.

job done

;) :D

the SHimano ones are the best in my experience, I've had the Park, pedros and Shimano. The shimano also have a never go dull gurantee.

Secret when cutting houseing. If you have a grind wheel, grind down the ends of your housing this way the ferrul touches the housing all the way around no high or low points if yuou see what I mean. Your shifting is much better needs less readjusting and they lasts longer.

Dhphat":380sthrp said:
Secret when cutting houseing. If you have a grind wheel, grind down the ends of your housing this way the ferrul touches the housing all the way around no high or low points if yuou see what I mean. Your shifting is much better needs less readjusting and they lasts longer.

Yeah, use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel attachment.

Back