How 'retro' is your 'proper' bike?

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Bear with me, as I know some of you only ride older bikes, and yes, all our retro bikes are proper bikes, but for those of us who like the benefits of disc brakes, light weight + strength and plush suspension - in what ways have you retro'd your every day steed?

for example, my proper bike has a Moby post, flat bars, salsa rasta skewers (and rasta stem stackers) and a couple of retro stickers including a Salsa pepperman, an X-lite union jack and a '93 MBUK Mint Sauce giving me the thumbs up on the top tube (for those head down, arse up climbs)

Discuss.

Until last week when I sold it, my 07 Avalanche had a mid '90's 130mm KORE stem, original '96 GT straight bar, '98 LX chainset and early '90's grey Flite.

Now though, my most modern bike is my '98 Tempest.

I have Hyperlite bars and X-Lite stubbie pro barends on my ASR.

Did fit some skinwalls but it looked so wrong :oops:

durace rear mech,old lx front on a san anfreas from a while ago....sdg kevlar saddle with xt levers and v brakes from mid 90,s,suntour thumbies,hope ti red and puple hubs on mavic 231 cd and sup rims,hope skewers,......and green tyres. :D

My 'proper' bike is from 1998.

My other 'proper' bike is from 1989! :oops:

Pretty much everything on them is retro. :D

I quite fancy going the other way with a 'new' proper bike. Modern kit on a retro frame. I just get on with the geometry of older frames better than the new stuff.

cherrybomb":25q80gvp said:
My 'proper' bike is from 1998.

My other 'proper' bike is from 1989! :oops:

Pretty much everything on them is retro. :D

Ditto apart from the years...my 'new' bike is '97 :LOL:

My 'mostly used bike' is an 99/00 FSR stumpie which whilst old I don't think will ever be retro, kit is picked to do the job rather than consideration for age etc.

My 2003 bike has full M952 including hubs apart from XT octalink cranks and Z2 Atom 80 forks from 2000
Sorry, but it has got carbon seatpost and risers though

The Easton Flatboy pedals are hard to designate seeing as they have been around for donkey's years

So are you saying that bikes were made after 1995? :shock: :?

Seriously, rear mechs are for me a 'use it and wear it out' kind of component, so that's about the only thing I'd added that wasn't retro on my 1994 Pine Mountain.

7s cassettes are still available, although less exotic than in the old days, and I have managed to keep my 7s hubs going.

On my road bike (a 1994 Litespeed) I thought I'd have to change to post-2000 Campag kit but after two years managed to find a decent old rear mech. But I have got more modern forks and ahead.

Back