1 x 10 Drive train on Retrobike.

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

Has anyone used or is currently running with a 1 x 10 drive train configuration on a pre '97 chainset / hub.

I'm toying with the idea myself on a new frame I just landed. I did a little search on the forum and couldn't find evidence of any group members using this setup on a Retrobike.

Thoughts, comments and pictures welcome.

Regards

Trebz

Re:

Have a peek on the 1998+ section, someone started a 1 x 10 thread recently with plenty of replies etc.

Assuming you want to keep with a square taper BB and use a retro crank-set, I would aim to find a narrow-wide chainring in the correct BCD. Much better chain retention with one of these. However they can be difficult to find in some of the older BCD patterns.

It can be done using a "traditional" chainring but ideally you would keep your front mech on as a chain guide (or run a chain guide!)

Joe

Yep, I have 1x10 on my daughters mid 90's kona.
Raceface cranks (cut down to around 140mm) with 5 x 110 bcd Road/CX narrow wide ring.
Rear hub is a 90s XT 737 with a 10 speed cassette on it.

In terms of the rear mech (again assuming you don't want to buy a more modern 10 speed mech);

- You MIGHT get away with a 9 speed mech depending on what cassette you're intending to run.

- You can buy a little link which extends the mech hanger, meaning your existing 7/8/9 speed mech can traverse a wider cassette; https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... -extender/

I'm not an expert on the topic but hopefully the above information helps.

Joe

Re:

I've done this a few times. I built an orange gringo using 10sp deore gears and a 1x ethirteen crank. Worked really well but the frame turned out to be a bit big so swapped it all over to a smaller disc frame.

Did the same on a dmr rhythm frame using x9 gears and a 2x race face crank minus the granny ring.

I wasnt too fussed with gear ratios as it was for a 10 year old and my wife respectively so recreational use only.

Shimano Deore MT-60 with a SRAM 11/32t 10spd cassette and 10spd chain. No modifications.

file.php

Re:

Before you splash the cash check that the cassette will fit on to the freewheel. I couldn't fit a 9 speed cassette (same width as a 10) on a '93 shimano freehub which came on my 7 speed Lava Dome.

Re: Re:

shedobits":3vkvgtes said:
Before you splash the cash check that the cassette will fit on to the freewheel. I couldn't fit a 9 speed cassette (same width as a 10) on a '93 shimano freehub which came on my 7 speed Lava Dome.

thats because it was a 7spd cassette freehub!

Back