lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
hi all. need a bit of advice for the last component needed to complete my kona rebuild. i have been trying to keep it fairly period perfect but after falling in love with a set of pace rc36 pro class forks i have a bit of a problem. i have a set of curve cantilever brakes as fitted standard to higher spec konas in 96 whiv=ch i bought off my mate back then (he upgraded to these new v brake things straight away)

the fork wont accept a canti brake due to no cable stop on the brace. i have emailed pace to see if they do a brace with a cable stop (no reply) and i have been unable to find one anywhere.

i really dont want to run a v brake but i am starting to think this is my only option.

are onza ho's v brakes?

also if i went down the magura route, which model would be correct for a 95/6 build?

does anyone have any other suggestions?

cheers

lewis1641":sgmh3z4y said:
are onza ho's v brakes?

no, but onza made v-brakes. they were called onza hola.

lewis1641":sgmh3z4y said:
also if i went down the magura route, which model would be correct for a 95/6 build?
hs22 raceline?

Attachments

• onza-hola.jpg
    onza-hola.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 860
lewis1641":zd1ovv6d said:

cheers

Well; if you're going period correct for 95/96 you should really be using RC35s not RC36.........and they are canti compatible, you just need the cam for the brace. ;)

You could get an arch with a cable stop on it. I had one and took it off my RC36 back in the day as i wanted V's instead and got a non stopped arch. so there must be some out there.

Ask 'JustBackDated' he may know of one.

:D

i realise that but the rc36's are just so sexy!!

those onza brakes look like they'd fit right in. cant say i have seen them before but i will certainly keep my eyes peeled

daj":1tnfg184 said:
wouldnt it of been the HS11`s?
Explosif and Kula had HS-11 in 96, Hei Hei and For Play had HS-22. Kilauea had Curve cantis.

My 96 Explosif has V-brake cable stops, but bikes from earlier in the 96 model year didn't. If your frame has a V-brake cable stop, surely a V-brake must be period correct?

it came with canti brakes from new. it is the front brake which is the issue and the fork fitted isn't the original

im learning here and a little off subject

So the HS-22 wasnt a replacement for the HS-11 but a more uprated model? I thought the HS-22 was the newer direct replacement for the HS-11 system .

Back