Univega Alpina 5.5

Dexneverathome

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I have a Univega with a stuck elastomer suspension fork.

I want to replace it with a suspension corrected rigid fork.

Any suggestions from those who have done this before?

Re:

I'd guess a 420 or 440 axle to crown fork would be what you are after.ive used both sizes on older frames successfully.

Fork wise, plenty of options. I like pace rc31s as they look good, work well and the bike looks more purposeful and cleaner with the brakes mounted the 'wrong way'. Exotic make a pace looky likely in both alu and carbon.

Lots of other choices, kona p2s are well regarded.

Re:

Just get a fork that's billed as having V brake mounts so you can use your cantis. Aside from the good choices mentioned above, you could get a secondhand fork either by buying the fork alone or a donor bike. Search eBay for '26 rigid fork' and you will see hundreds of forks, both new and used, including the Exotics mentioned above. Just make sure you get your steerer tube and axle-to-crown measurements right before you buy.

Oh! And avoid cheap carbon fibre from abroad if you value your teeth, nose and, well, your face as it's currently arranged. Catastrophic failures are not unknown.

Re:

I’ve been looking for the original a to c measurement for the rigid fork..... can’t find it. It’s elusive.

Anyone know?

Bearing in mind the age and the old fork would have been sub-80mm travel, I'd go with a 410-420mm fork.

Re: Re:

Dexneverathome":1ckcisv3 said:
Thank you for all your suggestions. I’ve decided to get a fork made.

Cool! What style of fork you going for? Who's making it?

Is the steerer 1" or 1 1/8th? My univega is 1" so be careful what you buy!

Back