Campag on the cheap(ish)

66 triumph daytona

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have some Campag thumbies,chainset and mechs,would a Sachs Aris freewheel block and chain index adequately with it?I have an old set of Paris Dakars with a screw on rear hub that would save me a few quid if it works out.If not,what are you Campag guys using to get around the scarcity of Campag cassettes,chains and other consumables?

If your using friction setting in the thumbies it'll go with anything. Does the sprocket spacing on the freewheel differ between a Campag and an Aris ? If not then there is no reason why it will not work both friction and indexing.

Re:

You don’t mention what speed cassette, but assuming it is 7 speed or less you will be just about fine. All 5-6 speed systems used 5.5mm spacing, all 7 speed systems used 5mm. Even with 8 speed Shimano used 4.8 and campa used 5 so .2mm difference which can be accommodated if you use a floating jockey on the rear and set up on the middle cog.

The great thing with campa of this age is the shifting is agricultural anyway so you won’t notice if it’s a bit off.

I run 7 speed campa with a Sachs block and it’s fine!

Re:

Yes,its 7 speed Olympus,I think.Good to know it can be done.I had a Zinn with full Campag years ago and yes,agricultural would best describe the shifting.What replacement jockey wheeks do you use?

66 triumph daytona":l2m7a4qj said:
If not,what are you Campag guys using to get around the scarcity of Campag cassettes,chains and other consumables?

Miche, cassettes and chains both good quality and they won't break the bank.... ;)

Attachments

• 5E877ACB-1151-4EC7-BBB4-D1BA310A7EA9.jpeg
    5E877ACB-1151-4EC7-BBB4-D1BA310A7EA9.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 558
Back