1990 miyata elevation 150 general question

Scvintage

Retro Guru
Looked at a 1990 miyata elevation 150 today. Cro-mo tubing and Suntour parts. The Araya rims looked very similar to BMX rims. Is there anything worth saving on this bike? It was cheap and very original, just not very exciting... except for the rims I liked that BMX look.

Re:

Anyone know the year they started making them in Taiwan? This one says made in Taiwan. Serial number starts with y, y is supposed to be 1996 according to an internet reference. The color of bike matches 1993 catalog. Very confusing

Re:

My son rode it for a few hours today to work the kinks out of it.. it’s a comfortable frame.

Attachments

• 356F2F01-A8C7-4CB6-9EE5-EA90DDC2ED09.jpeg
    356F2F01-A8C7-4CB6-9EE5-EA90DDC2ED09.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 435
Re:

I’ll hi jack my own thread, snagged this one today for $5. It took me a few hours of elbow grease to clean and wax. it was brown and covered with barn dust and straw. I’ll need to wax the frame a few more times to make it really shine.

Attachments

• 6A7148FD-A9F1-4FE1-ADF9-706A8936BB8B.jpeg
    6A7148FD-A9F1-4FE1-ADF9-706A8936BB8B.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 435
Re:

Thanks, this bike has an old bike store sticker from Pennsylvania. So I know it sold in the USA. What seems weird is the made in Taiwan part. If it is a 92, that’s before the date a few internet references mentioned shifting from Japan to Taiwan. Not that this bike is special, it’s just hard to find info that matches the “made in Japan” bragging point of miyata.

Re: Re:

Scvintage":8cswv32z said:
Thanks, this bike has an old bike store sticker from Pennsylvania. So I know it sold in the USA. What seems weird is the made in Taiwan part. If it is a 92, that’s before the date a few internet references mentioned shifting from Japan to Taiwan. Not that this bike is special, it’s just hard to find info that matches the “made in Japan” bragging point of miyata.

I think the mentions you are referring to apply to Koga-Miyata. Koga-Miyata switched to Tw in 1996. Maybe Miyata US had a couple Tw made frames earlier than 1996.

Re: Re:

Elev12k":19l56gpw said:
Scvintage":19l56gpw said:

I think the mentions you are referring to apply to Koga-Miyata. Koga-Miyata switched to Tw in 1996. Maybe Miyata US had a couple Tw made frames earlier than 1996.

It really appears to be something like you mentioned. “Miyata USA” sold a different product. The sticker that describes the frame material is also worded oddly.

Back