Lion Bike ?

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I think these bikes are BSO in the same league as Townsend or Emmelle but I have never heard of them and then by accident I come across both a Lion Bike Masai and a Lion Bike Asagai. Names seem to reflect African tribal groups. Only distinguishing feature is the seat/chain stay on each side are one piece tubes bent in a curve where the drop outs are attached. Seem to be 1990's bikes.

Anyone heard of Lion Bike and if so any info ?

Just interested because I have never heard of or seen the like, though I also find the stays an elegantly simple solution to mass production :?

Re:

So done a log of digging to find anything out about Lion Bikes.

The Lion Assagai, Lion Massai and Lion Dakar that use a single piece tube bent in a curve at the welded on dropouts and acting as both seat stay and chain stay are French in manufacture.

Parent company is Cycleurope who in turn are owned by Grimaldi Industries of Sweden who also own Bianchi, DBS, Monark etc. Cycleurope France owns bits of Peugeot, Gitane and possibly MBK.

Lion Bike are a bit of Brand Engineering to provide budget MTB's to increase market share. Only a small amount ever imported into the UK mainly to SE England hence the reason I have not heard of them up here in Scotland. The Lion Bikes I have mentioned appear to be built by Peugeot in France as they use internal brazed lugs to join the frame together which is rather neat and tidy. I thought most Peugeot mtb were built in Canada so that in itself is interesting. Frames are High Tensile steel but lighter than you would expect. Dropouts pressed steel. Fork dropouts are also pressed steel continuations of the fork tubes but done with good structural thought.

I have aquired a frame just to build up for fun. Yes I know it might be classed as BSO territory but seems well made and structurally sound. :)

Re:

[]
[/url]

The Beast, forks not original as bent a crown race so these ones will do. Definitely Peugeot built frame as utilises DBS(Direct Brazing System) internal fillet brazes and "French Made" beneath head tube badge which is a lions head.

Angles are pretty slack with long wheel base which suggests older design ideas you'd find on a low end bike so early to mid 90's I reckon.

Re: Re:

velomaniac":3dfhtskt said:
Definitely Peugeot built frame as utilises DBS(Direct Brazing System) internal fillet brazes and "French Made" beneath head tube badge which is a lions head.

Named 'Lion' bikes after Peugeot's logo perhaps.

Back