rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Hello all,
Tonight I finally managed to grab some ‘me’ time, so I thought I’d better get on with cabling up my pair of Lotuses;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=394429
I thought I’d start with the Campagnolo adorned bike first and all has gone ok except for one annoying thing... the bullet shifter for the rear derailleur shows the gear numbers in the opposite direction to what it shifts.
It works fine and I’ve followed the instructions to the letter, which advises that you have to start the grip at 1, thread the cable then adjust as normal. Simples right? Yes, of course except the rear derailleur is sitting at rest over the 8th cog when you start & the mech ‘pulls’ to the 1st gear (with the shifter showing :cool:
I’ve had the shifter apart again and you can’t change anything, it pulls from 8th to 1st put shows 1-8.

Am I being very stupid? Or are these bullet shifters designed to be matched with a reverse pull rear mech?

You're on you own - last set I fitted was in 1996, they did shift up and down as 'normal' though. Have you got them on back to front?

Shifters that is, not Y-fronts.

legrandefromage":bb2srw2r said:
You're on you own - last set I fitted was in 1996, they did shift up and down as 'normal' though. Have you got them on back to front?

Shifters that is, not Y-fronts.

Binned the Y-fronts in favour of Boxer shorts around about ’94 so I know they aren’t the problem…
As far as I can tell everything is as it should be, they seem very simple to set up and work perfectly, just the numbers run 1-8 as I twist/pull back the grip, but this of course pulls the mech from 8th to 1st…… I was hoping some clever chap was going to respond with “remove screw ‘A’ and flip the grommet ‘B’ through 180 degrees bla bla’

The History Man":bb2srw2r said:
Pictures?

Later, when I’m allowed back into the workshop…….

Here we go....
The unit is fully fitted as per the instructions and operates fine, if I twist back this pulls the cable therefore pulling the mech towards the centre line of the bike (from smallest cog to largest on the cassette) the only thing wrong is the indicated numbers.... think I’m gonna ask Gil to knock me up a bespoke vinyl set of numbers descending to stick over the originals...

Attachments

• 18C25465-F010-41BA-AD6D-7809CD758B52.jpeg
    18C25465-F010-41BA-AD6D-7809CD758B52.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 498F4622-5E39-4A88-A5AA-40F3547EF1A7.jpeg
    498F4622-5E39-4A88-A5AA-40F3547EF1A7.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 376
Following closely as I’ve a pair but never used them

Will have a look at mine and the numbering

First thing to note is the word ‘RIGHT’ Is wrong way around which suggests it should come out of the other side of the indicator. Or is this a continental thing like brakes where it should be on other side?

Odd though. Just thinking out loud.

Or is it for a funky reverse mech type can’t remember what they’re called

Peachy!":dca1pbcu said:
Here we go....
The unit is fully fitted as per the instructions and operates fine, if I twist back this pulls the cable therefore pulling the mech towards the centre line of the bike (from smallest cog to largest on the cassette) the only thing wrong is the indicated numbers.... think I’m gonna ask Gil to knock me up a bespoke vinyl set of numbers descending to stick over the originals...
Your explanation makes sense to me, and I would agree that the numbers on the Shifter are reversed. The big surprise is that the instructions also indicate that the numbers are reversed :? .
Quote,"Assemble of the cable: Place the Shifter on position 1 - Insert shift cable". Surely with a Normal Rise Mech, it would be on position 8, Smallest Sprocket, furthest from the centre line of the bike. Blimey, our Italian cousins eh :LOL: .

Pip

I think you have them on wrong, other pictures I've found have the indicator windows toward you

Give me a mo or two

Back