New Here. Found an '87 Bridgestone MB-2 for 250.00.

EOGIE

Retro Newbie
Hello, I just recently came across this website and LOVE it. Something else I've found is an '87 Bridgestone MB-2 for 250.00. Based on the below information, do you think it's a pretty good deal? I can't find much information about the MB's from this year. I think it's an awesome looking bike. Now, it's a 19" frame and I have a 35" inseam. I'm thinking I can make it work with a lot of seatpost and riser bars....or am I delusional? Here's what he said about it.....

"Here's what I have (I bought it with some parts and found the rest over time):
1) 19" (center to center) frame in really good shape. It has some typical nicks, but is overall in great shape for the age. I've cleaned it up, waxed it, etc.
2) Matching fork and stem in similar condition, though maybe with a few more nicks.
3) Sakae SX crank set (175mm)
4) Correct Suntour XC7000/Sport f/r derailleurs and XC5000 thumb shifters
5) Araya RM-20 rims on Suzue hubs
6) New 6-speed freewheel (Sunrace, I think)
7) New Tange chrome headset (having trouble getting it in - probably needs head tube reamed and faced at a shop - not a big deal)
:cool: Original brakes: Suntour XC7000/Sport rollercam rear and cantilever front with Suntour levers. I also have yellow Kool Stop Eagle pads to match.
9) Bright green Oury grips
10) Correct size Caragashi brake cable with yellow housing
11) Strong seatpost and Suntour post quick release.
I believe it just needs shifter cable, saddle, bottom bracket and tires."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Here's the bike....

-1-3.jpg

Build it and see :D lots of folks like a smaller bike for chuckability more BMX. Really depends on what you want from the bike and your riding style. Use what you got and go, from there you don't need much to finish and you'll always be refining anyroads.

Nice bike BTW liking the colours :cool: deal wise hard to say but if you like it who cares :D

I dont know if that is such a good deal really.

Bridgestones are great in general and a real cult brand, at least here in Sweden, but those great bikes that people are lusting over are from around 1990-1994, especially the MB-1-2-3 and MB-0.

Your bike is an older model and it has chainstay mounted U-brakes. I guess the frame is nice and unique (you dont see many lugged MTB frames these days) but IMHO you should have got a complete bike for 250 (must be dollars?).

I got an Bridgestone MB-2 frame/fork in good condition from 1990 for free when I bought a Yeti Ultimate last year. The frame is very light and in good condition considering it is steel.

Yes, it's dollars. And all it needs is "shifter cable, saddle, bottom bracket and tires". I'd have to agree that 250.00 isn't a GREAT deal but is somewhat reasonable. I'm going to wait it out and see if he comes down on the price. Thanks for the opinions. I sure would like to find one for free!

It's very hard to say what is something like that worth, because the situation is so different in the UK compared to the US (I assume you're from the US?) Our eBay prices seem to be slightly higher, but our knowledge of Bridgestones is much less. I guess you've already tapped the mtbr vcr forum, they're much more into Bridgestones than us, particularly eighties ones, just cos they lived through it I guess.

I know it's just an old bike to some, but I must say 250 US$ doesn't seem all that much for such a collection of near-unobtainable (over here) parts and a nice frame. Maybe haggle, but if you'd be disappointed if you lost it, then why not pay the 250? It's not all that much money in the greater scheme of things.

I'd have to agree with you, and if kept in good shape, the re-sale value should be higher than what I bought it for. I just have the problem of wanting to update bikes with the best parts and it usually ends up costing me a lot more. I would keep all of these original parts but it would most likely end up being a SS. I'm considering using an eccentric bottom bracket(cheaper) or a White Industries eccentric hub. I'm going to wait it out for a bit longer and see if he comes down on the price. He started off at 300.

Thanks for the replies.

Ah, well there I must cordially part company with you because I'm not at all sure that bike wants to be single-speeded.

Maybe it's just that I'm insanely jealous of anybody young and athletic enough to be capable of single-speeding, but to me converting that bike would be a bit like saying to your girlfriend 'Darling, I love and admire you, you know that, but it's not for what you are, it's for what you could be. Will you change yourself, fundamentally, just for me?' If she had any sense, she'd tell you to naff off and try it out on somebody else. And I truly believe that so would that Bridgestone, if only it could speak.

OK, it's only a bike, but let's not forget also that it was made before the concept 'light' was invented. In those days, they used to build bikes like Sherman tanks, just in case they might hit a bump, didn't they? Surely something from the early to mid-nineties would be more suitable for charging up hills with one gear?

Back