When did Shimano first launch SPD?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
ASFAIK, the first SPD's were PD-M737 (XT) and PD-M650 (DX).

Were these available in 1992?

The website below says they were, but the rest of the M737 groupset wasn't launched until 1994. Although i have a 1993 catalogue that features the PD-M737.

I just want to be sure they were in shops in '92 as i'm going for a period correct build :roll:

http://datenbanken.freepage.de/traut/SHIMANO.html

Seems like the early 90's were not my best for memory purposes :oops:

I definitely have a pair of M737's from 1993, but that doesn't help you does it :(

Tallpaul":5cbicays said:
Huntso":5cbicays said:
Think it was 1993 so they tied in with the M900 kit

M900 launched in '92

cchris2lou":5cbicays said:
I got mine in 1992 .

I was hoping someone would have a better memory than me :)

Still, i wonder why they weren't PD-M900?

i dont think they followed the groupset range , as XT 737 came out much later . and following pedals were 747 , which is not a groupset .

cchris2lou":gaulie0p said:
i dont think they followed the groupset range , as XT 737 came out much later . and following pedals were 747 , which is not a groupset .

Yet the DX SPD's did, as they were PD-M650 and that years DX groupset was M650. Odd.

M737s were out in early '92 IIRC. Revolution MTB's in Romford got some of the first batch back then, still using my first pair bought from them (pic below) - bulletproof pedals. Still have the original grey shoes as well. Whole lot came to £150 and that was a lonnng time ago.

ork.jpg

I blame my recreational drug use

I blame sleep deprivation from my daughters birth in 91 (and the drink)

Still got mine with the box and everything else they came with, prefer flats myself and only keep the M737's for period correct pics of bikes from that era :)

Back