Kona size help

Jonnyboy

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all, i am 5ft 8" & have seen a nice 17" 1992 cinder cone i am thinking about getting, could anyone advise if this size frame would be ok for me ?? ......

Thanks ! :D

Thats the very size for you.

I'm 5'10" and my 17" Kona was perfect. It seems a small frame cos of the steep slope geometry but its the right size all right.

I agree with all the above, but I'd suggest a bit of caution as, according to the Kona catalogues, they didn't make bikes in size 17 until 1993 and didn't import size 17s to the UK until 1995. You do see early bikes for sale in size 17 sometimes, but TBH I think many owners don't know what size their bike is.

I suggest you ask the seller to give you the measurements of the seat tube (centre bb to top of seat tube) and the top tube (c-c along the tube)

Absolutely right. But if it's an 18" you should still be able to fit it. I'm 5'10" and can ride 17" and 18". You can take a look at the Kona sizing chart, but keep in mind it's a modern chart and only a guide. The 92 top tube length for an 18" is comparable to a modern 17" Kona (22.5" then, whereas now an 18" tends to be just over 23" for a comparable xc frame.)

http://www.konaworld.com/tech/sizing_chart.htm

Colinmac":xobhmpe9 said:
Does that mean mine was an 18" - I could have sworn I measured it....
Not to worry...
I suspect that many of the older Konas have seat tubes a fraction longer than the quoted size. i.e., I have hardly ever seen an early size 16 for sale, but plenty of 17s. But Kona say they made 16s and not 17s. Most of the 17s I have seen for sale look like 16s to me and maybe have a seat tube of 16 point something, which has been rounded to 17.

On the other hand, a lot of sellers measure from bb to top of top tube and announce with total certainty that their size 19 is a 17.

The seller says he has measured from the center of the BB to the top of the seat tube so hopefully he's right when he says 17",
From what i can make out the bike has the earlyer 90s decals so im thinking 1991 / 2 ?? i guess i really need the serial #

Here is a pic of the bike for sale, what do you think , does it look 17" ??...........I would rearly like it because it goes exactly with my other Kona & i wanted a smaller frame one as well

5c59_1.jpg

This is the Kona i have at the moment, it is great to ride as long as im on the flat stuff, it feels a bit big for me if i start doing anything too exciting !! :shock: They would make a nice pair :D
Many thanks for all your replies & advice :D

IMG_4823.jpg

The bike is 91. At a glance the bike could pass as a 17 or 18, but again, they didn't make 17 then. My size 18 92 Explosif also looks "small" to me for an 18", but I think that's due to the shorter top tube length as compared to my 18" King Kahuna from 2000. The 90 Cinder Cone also looks big for an 18, but I measure 18.5" c-t. The 88-90 frames differ from the early 90 ones before they were suspension corrected. And again the geometry changed slightly after this point. I would say it must be an 18", but I still think you will have no problem riding it. It's definitely smaller than your other frame.

Back