CAN WE MAKE STANDARD DECORUM TO CHECK THE WTD ADS FIRST?

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been on here for years. I've been looking for some things, for 4-5 years. Time and time again, I find that some people that actually live on here, snap up things in minutes after they've been posted, and those that don't live on here, miss out time and time again.

Can I ask for your support, to turn this post into a sticky, to make it standard decorum for anyone selling desirable and/or rare kit, to check/search the Wanted Ads section first before posting it - I think it's reasonable to give anyone that's been looking for some kit first refusal on it, particularly if they've been looking for something for a long time.

This is a community after all.

Re:

I agree with the sentiment but it’s asking a lot for someone to have to spend ages looking through old wanted adverts rather than just putting up a advert. Lots of people are time poor and just want a easy sale.

I’ve had parts in the past which haven’t sold. So I’ve gone through the wanted adverts and messaged a few people. It’s very very rare you here back. And when you do it’s either they’ve sorted one out already or then want it for nothing.

Much easier to just stick a advert up and first come first served. I’ve wanted a aqua or purple Zaskar for years and always miss out. That’s life. If I truly wanted one I’d just offer obscene money for one so the owner couldn’t say no.

Re: Re:

d8mok":rw6qqard said:
I agree with the sentiment but it’s asking a lot for someone to have to spend ages looking through old wanted adverts rather than just putting up a advert. Lots of people are time poor and just want a easy sale.

I’ve had parts in the past which haven’t sold. So I’ve gone through the wanted adverts and messaged a few people. It’s very very rare you here back. And when you do it’s either they’ve sorted one out already or then want it for nothing.

Much easier to just stick a advert up and first come first served. I’ve wanted a aqua or purple Zaskar for years and always miss out. That’s life. If I truly wanted one I’d just offer obscene money for one so the owner couldn’t say no.

Can't agree with that at all d8mok.

This isn't Fleabay - where it is truly first come, first served. This is RB. It's a Retrobike community.

Community means to me - helping one another.

Re:

I agree. It’s a nice community with some great members.

But I just think it’s asking a bit much ..... search function isn’t great at all so it would take ages. Plus if using a mobile device which I do it’s really hard work.

Surely the answer is for you to spend more time on RB? Win win

Re: Re:

d8mok":m4d4ovm0 said:
Surely the answer is for you to spend more time on RB? Win win

Unfortunately, not. I have a life, a working life and a family. I fully appreciate that there are people that simply don't seem to ever not be on RB.

It would also completely negate the point of having a Wanted section in the MTB and Road section if it ran how you suggest, with nothing but Sales only - first come, first served.

All I'm suggesting that is that other users have more community spirit for those that have been searching for things for a long, long time. I totally get that you don't agree with this view, and that's fine. I would now be interested in reading what others think.

Re:

The wanted section comes in handy in my eyes. I’ve put up a couple whilst looking for parts and members respond and we do a deal. I wouldn’t expect to get any responses once my wanted advert has gone past the second page back.

Like I said before. People are time poor. I’m time poor usually . You’ve just admitted your time poor due to work and family commitments. I’m the same as I have a family and work 6 days a week. I simply wouldn’t have time to search loads of wanted adverts rather than just put up a for sale post. And it almost reads like you value your time more than other people’s by expecting it. Maybe I’m wrong maybe I’m right.

Re:

As someone who regularly scans the wanted ads this makes great sense to me, but there will always be people who just don't care unfortnately :(

Re:

Please don’t confuse what I’m saying. I log on and click “new posts” so I see any wanted adverts and would respond if I had anything. I’d also look if it’s a recent post. But to look back over 4-5 years like the OP mentioned is absurd.

I look at the wanted section daily and see if anyone is looking for something I haven't got around to listing for sale yet.

Similarly if I'm about to list a few things for sale then I'll have a look in the wanted section first but I'll probably only go through the first page or two at the most.

Re:

If you've been looking for a certain part for 4-5 years, and you REALLY want that part, then I'd suggest you might consider "upping your game" and spending more time actively searching for said part, rather than appearing as though you'd like the part to simply fall into your lap.
Its worth exploring other possibilities outwith Retrobike too, Eg Facebook etc which many who don't frequent Retrobike regularly use.
I do check the Wanted section, sometimes it saves the time and effort of creating a lengthy For Sale post, and I've also had good success with replies to my Wanted ads.
Some things are just rare or obscure and simply don't come up for sale very often, it can be annoying if you miss something, but that's life.

Back