Help, put back together RF Turbine IB crankset

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

Just got this in the mail today. It came unassembled and I need some help putting it back together. I think I got the large and middle ring properly on, with the proper bolts and nuts, one set pictured on the far right of the wide shot.

However, the 3 spacers provided (which I'm short 2 of) don't even come close to being the proper stand off, as the granny gear is not touching the spacers, but touching the middle ring. But the 4 taller bolts (which I'm short 1 of) seem to be long enough. :cry:

I plan to get all new set from http://www.torontocycles.com (i think the are know by Jersey Cycles as well). Maybe anodized red hardware, or perhaps titanium. If anyone can point out what I need from the site to put this baby back together, it be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC01156.jpg
    DSC01156.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,278
  • DSC01153.jpg
    DSC01153.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,278
I think the granny takes 8mm spacers with 16mm bolts. They are not common, but your LBS should have them in their bolt kit box.

spacers

My turbine has inner chainring spacers of exactly 7.1mm, although you have the DH version and I have the XC version so I don't know if that makes any difference.

DH version? How do you figure that? I didn't know there were DH/XC versions back then.

So 16mm bolts and either 7.1mm or 8.3mm spacers? Anyone know which one, or how I would go about figuring it out?

I can't remember which but either 7.1 or 8.3 is Race Face spec'd and you can only the non spec generic one from the LBS. I got the generic ones on mine and the difference does not affect shifting.

RockiMtn":1im7zml4 said:
DH version? How do you figure that? I didn't know there were DH/XC versions back then.

So 16mm bolts and either 7.1mm or 8.3mm spacers? Anyone know which one, or how I would go about figuring it out?

The difference is the spider. Here's mine:

Attachments

• racefacegreen1.jpg
    racefacegreen1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,217
turbines

Both of these pictures are from the '95 catalogue, they are both Turbines and the exact same age:

Attachments

• racefacexc.jpg
    racefacexc.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,201
  • racefacedh.jpg
    racefacedh.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,201
k, I thought the I-Beams (IB) were earlier design, having separate spider and arm. will the Low-Profile were a later design having integrated spider and arm.

so your saying they are around the same time period design but the IB are DH and the LP is for XC?

RockiMtn":3jxagzyb said:
k, I thought the I-Beams (IB) were earlier design, having separate spider and arm. will the Low-Profile were a later design having integrated spider and arm.

so your saying they are around the same time period design but the IB are DH and the LP is for XC?
Yes, that's what I'm saying

Back