Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks brock. Are those for sale, or are you just teasing me? :P

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

:lol: Teasing for now but having a clear out so drop me a line when you are closer to needing them and I'll probably buckle.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Nice to see its come apart with no issues :) Looking forward to seeing this come along 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Managed to remove the decals...

And before rubbing down and priming, tried a sample of a fluorescent orange from Holts (FP12C), but it turned out to be more like a fluorescent red...

So it's been rubbed down...

...and primed with high build primer to fill out any minor scratches and dings, ready for some minor filling, more rubbing down and a white primer...

I put the old knackered BB and some old M5 bolts in the frame so the internal threads wouldn't get clogged up with paint.

In the meantime, I will plough on with trying to get hold of some orange top coat. I know it's RAL 2005 (Luminous Orange), but our main car paint supplier (Cory Car Paints) can't get hold of it. They don't even have a RAL 2005 colour swatch card. When living on a small island it can sometimes be problematic trying to get hold of certain things. I have found someone on Amazon who sells aerosols of RAL 2005, so might give them a try, but it might not get past customs. But before I start ordering I need to confirm a couple of things: how many cans will it take to do the frame and forks (I'm thinking 2, with maybe a 3rd in case of any cock-ups), and is the Orange on Commanderrb's 1989 Clockwork RAL 2005? (the one with no white fade and spaced out decals). The next project will be converting a 1994 Clockwork to look like that, so will need paint for that as well.

BTW, whilst scouring the internet for RAL 2005, I found out that it's the same colour that's used on sea rescue boats: https://georgeszigrand.com/2012/08/30/r ... chtorange/

Cheers,
fred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:39 am 
Old School Hero

It’s taking shape nicely, can’t wait to see the finished article.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:29 pm 
Dirt Disciple

If it helps, my 1990 is pearlescent white and a dark orange but got a later 92ish one that was pretty beaten up but the orange was a lot lighter, think I got the later one off mr brocklander for the bars and stem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:57 am 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks defender8337. I've tried all paint suppliers in Jersey, and absolutely no one get hold of RAL 2005. I have found someone on Amazon that can, and have ordered 3 cans. I'm now waiting to see if it makes it past customs. I'll be surprised if it does, but got to try. If it doesn't I'll have to go for the next best orange that is available in Jersey, which I think is RAL 2004

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:42 am 
Dirt Disciple

The paint supplier on Amazon cancelled my order :cry: after they said their courier would charge £42 to send to Jersey. :facepalm:
I've been in touch with a car body repair company over here to see if they can add some RAL 2005 to their order. Fingers crossed.
In the meantime, prepping and priming continues. I've built a temporary spray booth in my garage using a big roll of thin clear plastic sheeting from B&Q, stapled to the ceiling rafters, which can be rolled up and tied off with string when not being used.

White primer finished yesterday. I'll be applying the white top coat to the cross and down tubes later today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Finally sorted out the orange paint!

No joy from any of the paint suppliers or car body repair places in Jersey, so I've been trying out cans of fluorescent orange paint whenever I've come across them in auto-part shops, paint suppliers and hardware stores, and made a colour sample board as I went along. The top half of the colour samples have been given two coats of lacquer.

The last one on the right is the one, a near enough match to the original orange. It always has to be the last one, doesn't it?! It came from a little hardware store that I didn't know existed, at a petrol station on the other side of the Island. I always thought it was a little petrol station kiosk, where you can buy sweets and stuff when paying for petrol. Turns out there's a larger room at the back full of all sorts :-)

It's an excellent paint. Covers very well, easy to put on a thick layer without any runs. Dries quickly to a matt finish. I was able to flatten off with super-fine sponge paper a couple of hours after spraying.

New slip-ons and lacquer tomorrow.

Cheers,
fred

Last edited by MuddyFred on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am 

Pictures are not showing for me? :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next