Help identify these forks, please.

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Been given 2 pairs of forks and a frame for doing some work on a mate's Kona sex too. I'd like to know what they are and if they are any good. 1 pair have Girvin decals and the others RST Hi 5 decals. Normally i'd take these decals at face value.

But,the 'Girvins' came attached to the frame which has got me quite confused. See the frame looks like an aluminium catalogue job (decalled as a Target Alpen) but it was equipped with Magura's, an LX mech and XT shifters! I just don't get it (i'll post a pic of the frame later).

Attachments

• 2008_0917fbits0019.JPG
    2008_0917fbits0019.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 2008_0917fbits0015.JPG
    2008_0917fbits0015.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,044
Pics of that frame as promised.

Attachments

• 2008_0917fbits0020.JPG
    2008_0917fbits0020.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 2008_0917fbits0022.JPG
    2008_0917fbits0022.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,027
Girvin 'Chubby' (also called 'Pipeline') - came as standard on '97 Proflex Beast and Animal. Could also be purchased seperately.

RST 'Hi-5' - came as standard on '96 Marin B17. Could also be purchased separately.

Think they were both on a par - reasonably reliable mid-range long travel dual crown forks. The RSTs had 5" of travel - not sure about the Girvins, think they were slightly less at 4.5"

the frame is junk. :p

The Girvin is a Chubby, and I think the RST is a Mozo Pro DH, but I could be wrong.

Neither is worth a whole lot from either a VRC or a functional perspective. :cry:

The Girvins are rebadged RSTs. I've had a pair of each BITD and they were identical internally.*

I caveat this statement with the fact that nearly ten years and many forks have passed since then. I could be talking complete nonsense! :D

It occured to me that, after reading Corduroyboy's post, parts often have different names depending on which continent/country they were marketed. I've never heard of the Pipeline name and I thought the Hi-5 was something else.

Essentially what I'm saying is...who the hell knows what those things are!? :shock: :D

Dave_H":h9cxqfda said:
The Girvins are rebadged RSTs. I've had a pair of each BITD and they were identical internally.

Thought that as the internals appear near identical.

Glad i'm not loosing my marbles with the frame too!

Dave_H":1tdpu9mz said:
I could be interested in either pair of the forks (preferably the Girvin's) if they're cheap enough.

You can have both pairs Dave for £40 posted or £25 a piece.

Back