Kona identification

NickD

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought the frame in '98, it was supposedly a 96 AA but I have never been sure. Anyone know?

It had been painted with yellow line paint, so the finish is bare aluminuim now (and for the last 10 years) and the decals are what the LBS had at the time.

Forks were all I could afford at the time, and I have never changed them :oops: The rest of the parts were whatever I could get, but I upgraded to V's and a lovely set of 94 XTR hubs on mavic rims in about 99. The bars, saddle, grips and pedals were all bike test parts from when I was writing IIRC.

I've just realised looking at these pics that I have my saddle in a very strange position, it's comfortable to ride though, although I really ought to get a new chain!!

It's just about ready for a little updating - the Bombers I always wanted but could never afford, and a new rear mech to replace the slighty wonky one in the pic. I might even try the saddle a little flatter.

P5290001.jpg

P5290003.jpg

P5290002.jpg

Very possibly an AA. The two holes for the carrier just above the dropouts are also on the AA, but surely other models too. I would say yes, but let's see what Anthony says.

I don't know much about aluminium bikes I'm afraid. The dropouts seem to be common to all of the 95 and 96 aluminium Kona hardtails. The two things that strike me about it are the odd downtube cable stop and how skinny the top tube is in relation to the down tube. From the 96 catalogue, it looks like a Muni Mula, and the 96 AA didn't have that cable stop. But in this picture of somebody's 95 AA the cable stop looks vaguely similar.

What is the serial number?

Attachments

• 1995 AA size 18 modern fork.jpg
    1995 AA size 18 modern fork.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,103
I can double-check but it looks an awful lot like my '96 Muni-Mula. Were the alum frames the same or different amongst the few models?

I know there's a '96 catalog lurking somewhere on the internet but I can't remember where. If I find the link i'll post it.

Bike_SVX_CCCConf006.jpg

They all look pretty similar as far as geometry. Me and Anthony have the 96 catalogue, but feel free to post the link if anyone else cares to take a guess. Use the search function with Kona as a keyword, and narrow the search to catalogue scans.

Kona Paul":7qb82xxk said:
They all look pretty similar as far as geometry. Me and Anthony have the 96 catalogue, but feel free to post the link if anyone else cares to take a guess. Use the search function with Kona as a keyword, and narrow the search to catalogue scans.

Here's the small brochure:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=kona

While they have the same geometry the AA is Easton tubing while the Muni-Mula is generic 7005.

NickD":8ivojpkx said:
the seial number is H4MO3563 so far as I can read it.
The 4 means that the frame was built in 1994, so it's either a 1994 or a 95 model, and it definitely can't be a 96. I'm afraid nothing in the rest of the number identifies which model it is though.

In 94 the only aluminium Konas were the Kula and the AA. The catalogue picture of a 94 AA is interesting in that it has the same chunky cable stop as yours, but note that yours can't be a 94 AA as that had a replaceable hanger. It also doesn't appear to be a 94 Kula as that didn't have the distinctive cable stop. So it's most likely a 95 rather than a 94 and if they carried the same cable stop over to the following year, your bike could be a 95 AA, as that didn't have a replaceable hanger! Is anybody still awake?

One last hint is that I'm sure I read somewhere on here (but I'd never be able to find it I'm afraid) that Easton frames at around this time had an E stamped on them, possibly on the top tube where it met the head tube, or was it the seat tube, I really can't remember I'm afraid. But search for an E and if you find one, I'd say it's a 95 AA. If you can't find one, maybe it's a 95 Muni Mula. But after all, you were told it was an AA so that's hopefully the most likely outcome anyway.

Attachments

• 1994 AA catalogue size 18.jpg
    1994 AA catalogue size 18.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,007
That sounds reasonable to me, Anthony. Maybe I was the only one still awake at the end? :D Good detective work. I'd like to find that thread about Easton. That's a juicy bit of info.

Back