Fork conversion - help

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,

I'm converting my bike from suspension fork to rigid. I need to buy that "thing" that hold one end of the brake cable housing.
At the moment it's held by a bridge structure that spans the fork, while typically on bike with rigid forks it's fixed to the steering tube. I mean that support where the brake cable housing ends.
What is it called in English?
I can't for the life of me find it with any of the key search words I've used.

Thanks

P.S. it's a cantilever brake bike, not V-brakes

Google 'Canti Hanger'.

Depends if you want it fitted to the fork, or by the top of the headset, and the differ for threaded headset and threadless.

Re:

Thanks!

Ideally to the headset.
Depending on its thickness I could place it instead of one of the spacers.

Re:

Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Although I'm now looking at those that mount on the fork. Maybe this way I could get away without even shortening the cable housing.

Re:

I'm actually now thinking to make my own hanger. It's surely longer than to fit a ready made one, but at least I can make it at the same level of the current one, so I don't need to shorter the cable housing.

Re:

Trying to be very thorough because once I fly back home I won't have access to a shop where I can find spare parts, so I need to get all I need beforehand.

The fork I purchased presents itself like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26-Diamond-B ... 2749.l2649

Completely bare.

So, I need, beside the hanger mentioned in the posts above, a crown race and...anything else?

Thanks!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you make your own, you need to be careful, it's taking most of the brake load. If it snaps you'll instantly lose all your brake force, and a couple of hundred milliseconds later your front wheel will lock solid (if you have a one piece straddle cable).

Fork crown mounted ones you can *usually* get away with the same outer/inner, i switched between two forks for a good chunk of time, course dependent. Cable wise, it only needed a tweak to the barrel adjuster at the lever end to get it to work (and tweaks to pad angle etc.)

Crown race, just pop it off the original fork?

Back