What pads for Mavic X517 rims

Tomianson

BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Hi All

I've got some Xt M737 brakes for use on some grey X517 rims.

Firstly, are the rims Ceramic coated if they're grey, or is there another way to tell.

The rims are NOS, what brake pads should i use?

Thanks
T

Re:

Some grey rims were painted or anodized. The way to tell is by the label in the rim (if its there) or by the rim itself... ceramic is a flat/matt speckled finish

Pads...? Anything specific to a ceramic rim... otherwise they'll last 5minutes

G

"Grey" MAVIC rims could be either ceramic or CD ("couche dure" - hard layer). CD rims have a uniform smooth shiny grey colour over the entire surface of the rim. Ceramic rims have a rough, dark grey coating on the brake surfaces only, and usually have a "CERAMIC" sticker. The other surfaces of a ceramic rim can be silver, black, or CD.

Ceramic rims need specific brake pads. I use Shimano's. CD rims use normal pads, but don't brake as well as plain rims until the CD layer has worn away.

one-eyed_jim":3lkb644k said:
"Grey" MAVIC rims could be either ceramic or CD ("couche dure" - hard layer). CD rims have a uniform smooth shiny grey colour over the entire surface of the rim. Ceramic rims have a rough, dark grey coating on the brake surfaces only, and usually have a "CERAMIC" sticker. The other surfaces of a ceramic rim can be silver, black, or CD.

Ceramic rims need specific brake pads. I use Shimano's. CD rims use normal pads, but don't brake as well as plain rims until the CD layer has worn away.

brilliant thanks, thats good info to have. These are CD SUP rims, so that answers that question.

Thanks again.
T

Back