Gold Trader
rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Claud Butler Fan
VCC Claud Butler ME
Feedback
View
Only a few weeks ago I realised that a bike I’d bought for a few quid as a donor last year for it’s early 90’s LX full kit, and subsequently used as a winter training bike.. had a pair of Farmer Johns Nephew tyres in usable, ok-ish condition but were rather filthy, I also had picked up last year a pair of Farmer Johns Cousin, also filthy….What to do?

Well I’ve been biding my time, waiting for an opportunity (ie when Mrs & Miss Peachy go off for a proper shopping trip, one where they go to town far enough away for them not to pop back unannounced (tracking daughter on whats-app) so that I can have some family fun time in the bath!

An hours back breaking scrubbing with a mild soap and at least they are clean, if not perfect.. (notice I didn’t get into the bath like Longun does)
Quick dry and then a wipe over with some 303 Protectant and I’m happy with the result.

Shame I couldn’t get all the marks off, but I think I can live with them, unless anyone else has any better ideas?

Attachments

• FarmerJohnsFamily (5).jpeg
    FarmerJohnsFamily (5).jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 529
  • FarmerJohnsFamily (1).jpeg
    FarmerJohnsFamily (1).jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 529
  • FarmerJohnsFamily (3).jpeg
    FarmerJohnsFamily (3).jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 529
  • FarmerJohnsFamily (4).jpeg
    FarmerJohnsFamily (4).jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 529
  • FarmerJohnsFamily (6).jpeg
    FarmerJohnsFamily (6).jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 529
Re: Re:

retrosworks":36vxdyl5 said:
Good job that man

Ta, wish I could get rid of the cross hatch marks though....

PeachyPM":2pa9t9iw said:
retrosworks":2pa9t9iw said:
Good job that man

Ta, wish I could get rid of the cross hatch marks though....

Some kind of beige paint. There must be something out there....

Not Dulux though.

Might just leave them be....

But then you’ll loose the logo and writing[/quote]

I've painted tyre side walls with Sadolin Superdec. It's pretty flexible & lasts alright unless you ride with your tyres too low. Cross hatching mostly disappears if it's surface muck although if the wall is crumpled it will still be visible but the same colour. No need to lose logos if you exercise care, give them a good clean first though. It's available at proper decorating stores in tester pot size which is enough for a few tyres although I tint the colour myself. Not all colours are available in testers but its expensive stuff in big tins. "Burlesque" colour was a bit light but I added some brown tint & was happy with the result.
I've even used it to transform blackwalls into skinwalls. (But don't tell anyone :D ).

Classic car buffs also have Whitewall tyre paint although again tinting is down to you. I've used Polyvine medium oak added slowly with a pipette.

Try it on an old tyre first!

fettler":1siyue8a said:

But then you’ll loose the logo and writing

I've painted tyre side walls with Sadolin Superdec. It's pretty flexible & lasts alright unless you ride with your tyres too low. Cross hatching mostly disappears if it's surface muck although if the wall is crumpled it will still be visible but the same colour. No need to lose logos if you exercise care, give them a good clean first though. It's available at proper decorating stores in tester pot size which is enough for a few tyres although I tint the colour myself. Not all colours are available in testers but its expensive stuff in big tins. "Burlesque" colour was a bit light but I added some brown tint & was happy with the result.
I've even used it to transform blackwalls into skinwalls. (But don't tell anyone :D ).

Classic car buffs also have Whitewall tyre paint although again tinting is down to you. I've used Polyvine medium oak added slowly with a pipette.

Try it on an old tyre first!

Cheers, I'll look into those..

*EDIT* Wood stain? Are you serious?

Back