GT Zaskar? .... or not ?

DBR

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon all,

Wonder if you might be able to give me a bit of advice/help. I baught a 'GT Zaskar'.... or not! yesterday from fleabay, on arriving home last night taking a closer look it has 7005 stamped on frame were the rear wheel is held in place. Now i thought all zaskars were 6061? does this stamp mean the alloy is 7005 and this isn't a zazkar?. It was advertised as a 10/11 year old Zaskar which i thought would qualify it to be hand built in America with 6061.

Any advice would be much appreciated, i should be able to return the bike as i paid through paypal but i want to be 100% before i call the guy.

thanks in advance

is the top tube endcap curved or flat? If flat it's more than likely a Zaskar if curved more likely an Avalanche or similar.

Pics would be handy - or ebay link?

If its stamped 7005, its not a Zaskar.

7005 is a lower grade alloy; my Tempest is 7005 alloy.

Its a fake, sorry :(

I've got to admit that it doesn't sound promising. You're right in your assumption; Zaskar frames are built from 6000 series tubes (6061). 7005 was used for the Far East built frames, the best being the Avalanche.

The easiest 'tell' is the end cap on the top tube, as has been said, this is flat on the USA hand built frames (inc. Zaskar) and curved on all the others.

damn, i thought as much. I'll have to speak to the guy. The bar is also curved!

Thanks for your help, if you hear of anybody with a 18"Zaskar for sale please give me a shout.

Many thanks

I have a real Zaskar with 7005 on right dropout.

Please make a difference between Zaskar and Zaskar LEs, they are not same frames at all.

cherrybomb":3l5e0vy2 said:
The easiest 'tell' is the end cap on the top tube, as has been said, this is flat on the USA hand built frames (inc. Zaskar) and curved on all the others.

I heard a rumour that the pantera has a flat end cap as well.. :?

kid":27ycbx7n said:
I have a real Zaskar with 7005 on right dropout.

Please make a difference between Zaskar and Zaskar LEs, they are not same frames at all.

Is it the 1995 one listed in your sig? 1995 GT catalogue lists the Zaskar and LE as 6061.

Have you owned it from new?

Zaskar

Just to blow all the theories out of the water, I have a 7000 series US built Zaskar, with a curved top tube end cap! (But it does have GT engraved into it-the Avalanche etc does not) It has not been re stickered, finished in Lacquered billet, with the original painted graphics under the lacquer, not stickers. This is a 2002 model, just pre the Moto, I believe they were made simultaneously in both the US and Taiwan, just to confuse issues. Don't harrass where its made! it'll still ride and look great! Incidently US made Rock shox had a 44.6% failure under guarantee return rate, they moved to Taiwan under Sram, now its sub 4%-- A Taiwanese frame may actually be an improvement over the US one!!!!
GTMotoZaskar005.jpg

Back