Do you buy your bikes to ride or just look at?

bjellys

Retro Guru
I have recently started collecting retro bikes and I want to ride them and save them from the tip.
I wondered if you are the same or if some of you just want perfection and don't like to take them out.
The only problem I have is riding with the narrow retro bars as I am used to today's wide ones.
I have been thinking of extending the bar end by 50mm (not permanently ) each end which wouldn't be seen as it would be under the grips please tell me your thoughts on this.I have been a senior citizen for a number of years now and I still seem to bounce well when I do come off but I try to cut down the possibility as much as I can.

Re:

Ride them.
By all means look at them.
But ride them. They're Bicycles not Monets.

Fit some wider bars, riser bars, shorter/higher stem, whatever you like so that you can ride it without crippling yourself.

There is a third option

You buy the bike to ride - you crack the frame and HAVE to look at it

Don’t extend the bars BTW the leverage force applied will over power your jointing method and you’ll loose your teeth

Try them as is, and marvel at how well “less skilled” the modern rider needs to be

Re:

Nice question :)!

First of all, I hardly ever buy bikes: I buy/collect all the parts parts to build a bike. If I buy a complete bike, it is usually for (a) part(s).
Then I build a bike in an (for me) esthetically pleasing way, hoping it is nice to ride too.
If the latter is not the case, I break the build and sell the bits while looking for a new project to start the process all over again :LOL: .

Currently, I'm at three rideable (nice-looking) bikes and two projects in progress for which the quality of riding still has to be established..

Re:

As Double E-F, I rarely buy complete bikes but I "re-assemble" them with the intention to ride them. Right now I have about 25 of them (both road, CX and mtb) so "riding them" means some of these bikes stay inside for about a year. In that way, the latter ones become bikes I look at. :?

Re:

I Like building , restoring and finding parts , I like to look at them and show other people , I enjoy selling them to guys that will use them and enjoy them.

I do ride mine not soo much anymore due to my knees but get out when I can :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":5fz9b522 said:
Ride them.
By all means look at them.
But ride them. They're Bicycles not Monets.

Fit some wider bars, riser bars, shorter/higher stem, whatever you like so that you can ride it without crippling yourself.

NOT MONETS...………….. :shock:

Back