Any British Eagle Pro-Carbon owners here?

pazaudi

Retro Guru
I may have managed to source (possibly) a Pro-Carbon frame only so I'm looking at any pointers from owners that could be useful. From what little info I've managed to find there is potentially a weakness with the carbon/aluminium bonding separating...any experiences of this?

Also as these are supposedly made by Alan (Italian) for British Eagle would anyone know what size/thread type BB these take?

Info is relatively scarce for these judging by my poor investigative skills, main reason I want one is obviously for nostalgic reasons as a friend had one in 1991/2 and I absolutely loved it so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

I have one, there are 2 variations that I know of, the difference being on the brake boss mounting, the early ones had them screwed directly into the seat stay/ fork leg & the later were riveted. I have never heard of bonding issues, iirc the joints are threaded & this could be the reason for the differing orientation of the top tube cable guides. The bb is 68mm English.

Edit, don't try running Magura brakes on the early version.

Re:

Great, thank you.

I think the bonding issues were earlier then as supposedly they started replacing the aluminium tubes with carbon in the 80's on the road bikes. I guess by the early 90's the issue was sorted.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this build.

Re:

Hi There. I ride a British Eagle Pro-Carbon as my summer bike. It is a fantastic bike and looks stunning.

British Eagle offered two versions - the ATB ST model and the ATB Oversize model. The ST version had standard size frame tubes and was Deore DX throughout. The Oversize version had oversize tubes with Deore XT throughout. The ST was marketed as a top end ATB and the Oversize marketed with a more rigid and stronger frame suitable for downhill. At first glance they look almost identical but the ST has the cable guides on top of the top tube and the Oversize underneath the top tube. I don't know why.

I do about 2,000 miles each year on mine, everything from tarmac through to very rough mountain tracks (ie Brecon Gap which is strewn with big rocks) as the most severe that I'm capable of riding. Touch wood I've had no issues with my frame at all and if there was a weakness I think it would have shown by now. Mine is the Oversize model. I do run a 2.2 front tyre and 2.0 rear (largest without chainstay rub) to soften the impacts and 25-35psi according to terrain.

I hope you get the frame as it really is a thing of beauty and makes an extremely good ride.

Moto

Re:

Hi, I'm just bumping this thread up as I've now got the frame but it has no decals on it. I've been in touch with Gil who has nothing on file for this bike so I was hoping someone would be kind enough to take some good photos of all the decals on the frame including measurements. Once I have them Gil can re-create the decals for me.

Any help much appreciated.

Back