Tioga Disc Drive Pro setup

Void(EN12-82)

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Went to pick up my brand new in the box unused bladiebla Tioga Disc Drive Pro. Looks awesome and I'm soooo happy with it (especially given the price I got it for) :cool:

Anyway, been reading through the manual and the setup doesn't seem too much of a hassle. Since it's a new one, abviously it ain't mounted to a rim and hub. It says ANY 36H hub will work btw, is this true? Wouldn't want to spend "alotta" cash on some Ringle Super8 and find out it won't fit :oops: Does anybody know the difference between a Pro and a normal one (or what is a normal one, the blue ones?).

And is it very hard to get this thing trued? The guy I got this from said most bike mechanics won't even touch these as it's very very hard to get the overall tension right and get it trued and centered, but the manual says it's about the same as doing it for a normal spoked wheel.

Or should I just keep it in the box and sell this in 20 years so I can retire from it :shock: :twisted: :LOL:

Anyway, info is greatly appreciated. Been searching here but not that much to find. Me personally I was happy to find this, it's new, it's the clear one (so I'm thinking about putting it on my white KLEIN or my S-Works carbon... or maybe even the Attitude would look nice with this). And I have to say, after reading what this wheel is all about, I'm kinda hesitating to really use it. Maybe this is more of a "show model" for a bike I'm not gonna use :?:

Void(EN12-82)

Quite easy to true when new mate,build is fairly easy to,i`d use a shimano hub xt,,xtr-or measure any hub with the same flange OD.But please loctite the little bolts and huts together,,but not the nipples, and yes build it you must hhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuummmmmmmmmhhhhhuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

monsterfatuk":1ifbsnkt said:
But please loctite the little bolts and huts together,,but not the nipples

Yeah I was thinking about that this morning. Looking at the hardware package and thinking "Damn, I need these little bolts & nuts to attach the hub and that ISN'T gonna get loose? I think I'll go get some loctite for that" :) Really small little bolts, and not even nuts with that plastic inner ring on them to help it secure. That's gotta end in a loose disc again :?

Thanx for the tip, so I'll defo be building it...

BTW: The manual states a max weight of 100KG, rider and bike included. I'm like somewhere around 85KG. That's gonna be pretty close then eh? (if I count around 12KG for a bike). DAMN! I shoulda kept my Scott Scale as it was only 9KG and used it on my disc wheels. I think this slides on without a problem if you have CenterLock wheels right? Dunno what it does on a disc wheel though :twisted:

So you're the one getting this one from MP :D
Think if you want to set this one up 100% you might want to ask Ernie (bikeboosting.nl) to do it for you...... he's good and pretty sure he's familiar with these disc drive also
Good luck
cheers Roy

How tight discs should be? :roll:

I got one old and it went out of true right after few hundred meters of riding.
Now it´s true again, but I have no idea how much I can or I should tighten it?

Hi Dennis,..

so you bought the one! nice!

i didn't buy it because of the weight issue :oops: :LOL:
By the way,..i saw the bidding,..much higher then the price i could buy it for when i contacted the seller the first day,..but you still got a bargain,..

cood luck with it,..
Which bike are you gonna put it in?

Defiant":2do312f1 said:
Which bike are you gonna put it in?

Still don't know... the guy who sold it to me thought it would look nice in the Attitude, but on the other hand my white Rascal would probably look cool too with the clear Pro in it. But I use that bike and don't want to break a new Disc Drive (that I've been after for so long) after 2 rides just because my arse is too fat ;-)

And then of course there's my S-Works Carbon, since it's all black and silver stuff I think it would look nice on that bike too. And I don't think I'll be using it (let's say it's gonna be for "historical purposes" hehe).

Man I wish I had 5 of those things, then I'd just put one on every bike and still had 1 to break :twisted:

early suntour & early hugi also fit disc drives. i believe TNT once made a hub that fits, not sure on exact model. i've heard the ringle supa8 will fit but never seen it done. the radial clear pro is 32Hole, the others are 36hole just incase you're deciding on what hub to use :)

out of all the hubs i've mentioned the hugi is by FAR the loudest, anyone who saw Ned racing the plymouth grundigs in the early 90s will be able to vouch for that, including myself after trying that combo :)

Back