30 years since the Yeti/MBA Ultimate first draft...

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I'd had this on my radar a couple of weeks since researching further into some Yeti Cycles history, so I re-drew the first ever draft by Clayton Bailey (who last week I learned is Colin Bailey's dad - Colin being the junior Team Yeti racer who was barely big enough to pedal a 26 inch wheeled bike when he gt a works deal from John Parker, now I know that Clayton is his dad, that makes more sense, as Clayton drew all the Yeti frame drafts back in the day).

It's 30 years today (Feb 11th, 1989)

I can't upload a PDF file here but it's on the Facebook Vintage Yeti group, if anyone wishes to print off and hang in a mancave as a poster, if you're a Yeti fan and like that kind of thing.

An interesting thing I also learned today since posting this up on Instagram was that apparently Zap nicked the design straight off Ken Beach's Gecko Genesis protoype, which is referred to by KB on this very forum in an old post.

Attachments

• CS SmlArtboard 1280px.png
    CS SmlArtboard 1280px.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 2,008
(As per crap RB photo functionality, this looks like it's drawn on an 8-bit Atari, but it's a vector image. :( )

that's well cool... if I wasn't such a luddite I'd open a FaceBook account and go get a copy

anyway back to playing Breakout on the ATARI

Retro Spud":3t1qelwh said:
that's well cool... if I wasn't such a luddite I'd open a FaceBook account and go get a copy

LOL

You just as well. You’ve got the WhatsApp app, which Facebook owns, so they already have ALL your info. :LOL:

Can’t believe there are still people who manage to build retro bikes without buying something off a Facebook group. :xmas-big-grin:

regan_ev":ftutgj9u said:
Can’t believe there are still people who manage to build retro bikes without buying something off a Facebook group.

Sad but true isn't it. Almost every component of my latest build didn't come this site. Put it another way and in general (not exclusively, just in general) well-worn, more common parts are here, the really good stuff is everywhere else.

al-onestare":rgubcatf said:
regan_ev":rgubcatf said:
Can’t believe there are still people who manage to build retro bikes without buying something off a Facebook group.

Sad but true isn't it. Almost every component of my latest build didn't come this site. Put it another way and in general (not exclusively, just in general) well-worn, more common parts are here, the really good stuff is everywhere else.

Nearly every bike i currently have is thanks to being outed on this site, if not for the leads and the membership, the generally community rallying around, im sure the passion would subside, i dont have a facebook account, and am also thankful for the archives and mag threads here too. I have yet to find a more complete resource for old bikes. I have even had members gift hard to find items, like IRD brakes, and hard to find drop bars and stem for builds which i was eternally grateful for, and i have tried to return the favour with Bonty stems and brakes etc when some one was in need. I guess most online sources have two stories to tell.

Re:

I'm talking about recently, as I'm guessing regan was too, as in the last 12-18 months.

And picking up on your point about members, that's the other primary source. Going to be folks I trust to see what they have or have seen. That, along with other sources is more common and more likely to identify and locate the really good stuff.

Re:

Im a little lost if im honest.

am i being thick...? (probably).

In the last two years, ive seen both ends of the spectrum on here, those who come on to sell crap and those who think its alright to use the site to promote there businesses to sell high end for huge profits, with a team of staff to to it all for them.

its a website, neither stick around as it serves there purpose and off they go to the next resource, some i guess expected a one stop shop/quick buck and others hoped it would add to there yearly revenue.

None of them i consider the same as you me and Reagan, old skool passing the time sharing and enjoying, they want you to think that but its all about shillings and pence.

regan_ev":r7wglxsx said:
Retro Spud":r7wglxsx said:

LOL

You just as well. You’ve got the WhatsApp app, which Facebook owns, so they already have ALL your info. :LOL:

Can’t believe there are still people who manage to build retro bikes without buying something off a Facebook group. :xmas-big-grin:

Happy Brirthday YETI. and well done Regan, great work. :cool:

although not redrawn, everything you have found on Facebook, Whats App and the Yeti website is here and has been for years... :cool:

Re:

A lot of stealing others design IP back in the day or as the great Artists would say, inspiration. People rarely post pricey iconic stuff for sale on here as there are no buyers anymore. Thats more a function of UK economic uncertainty and members quite reasonably controlling their spending.

Back