Custom tax.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Moan Moan Bloody Moan :evil:

£108 spent in the US - Parcel arrives with a £30.86 invoice attached. Item in question discontinued near 30 years ago.

:facepalm: Tears the 4r5e out it :(

Yeah, its silly, puts me off lots of things from there.

You can claim some things back though, cant remember what now exactly so not much use really :LOL: :facepalm:

mkone":nq5uiwz3 said:
Yeah, its silly, puts me off lots of things from there.

You can claim some things back though, cant remember what now exactly so not much use really :LOL: :facepalm:

Actually thats something I was thinking of checking on.

No original packaging, plenty of storage knocks and bumps shows its not brand undamaged and new. Then the age, and vat then was considerably lower.
I dont mind paying something, but 30+% is just too much. I doubt any of this will wash at the sorting office, so I'll likely have to email or phone or something. But i reckon it will be the fact once theyve got your money, they'll be reluctant to give any of it back :LOL:

Always ask the sender to declare NO GREATER THAN $15.00 USD value for whatever is in the package and be as vague as possible on the description. "Vintage bike parts" sent as gift usually does the trick. Anything over $15 will incur duty and/or VAT. And Royal Mail will charge you £8.00 just to tell you there's a charge due whcih is the real plss take!

Re:

I have shipped car parts to and from Canada and once shipped a whole car interior and labled it as a gift with a valve of $60 lol and I paid no tax when I came in , I did only do that once lol.
you can ask if the sender could put ie bike frame on it and the lowest reasonable price on the package,
they did that from china for me with my lepin , lego knock off lol

regan_ev":1in544oc said:
Always ask the sender to declare NO GREATER THAN $15.00 USD value for whatever is in the package and be as vague as possible on the description. "Vintage bike parts" sent as gift usually does the trick. Anything over $15 will incur duty and/or VAT. And Royal Mail will charge you £8.00 just to tell you there's a charge due whcih is the real plss take!

Or putting it another way and more accurately, ask the seller to commit fraud on your behalf. Just saying.

It's all here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-g ... ide-the-eu

There was a time Royal Mail seemed sloppy and didn't really know how to deal with the volume
of on-line purchases etc. Stuff from Hong Kong always seemed to slip through easy.

Those days are gone. No accident Ebay Global Shipping was introduced.

I got seriously stung some years ago with a Fed Ex delivery demanding money up front at the
door claiming all sorts of expenses and services for the export, import and delivery from the USA. Some services
I did not order, and so refused to receive the goods and pay the invoice. Then got court orders from Fed Ex legal team;
just for goods valued at $23 USD.

After that all purchases from outside the EU are a no-no unless economically it still makes sense.

Be mindful under-declaring value to help out an international buyer can have implications for any subsequent claim from the courier in case of loss. You can't claim £200 if you put £10 on customs form

Woz":2ofmlmxt said:
...No accident Ebay Global Shipping was introduced.
With all due respect, but GSP was only used as excuse for certain Messrs to skim the cream as much as they could.
Last spring a single v brake worth 16 quid was slapped with GBP25 (twenty five) delivery charges for 4”x6” padded envelope intra EU.
How about that as markup percentage?
Was it quicker? Nope, three weeks. What for? A round label reading Ebay Pitney Bowes.

The seller is a business seller and i reckon he's limited to what he can put on the packet, and the invoice which will be using the auction details of new old stock. As he's be getting taxed his end :? I dont think he'd be willing to effectively falsify for a complete stranger

Its just one of those things in this case but I am intending to email him, just to let him know that its a fair chunk in added taxation, and its effectively discontinued goods, but i think you fall into the category that its our tax laws, and to do anything about it you'd have to contact them. Understandable.

Got me bits, paid :( then went to unlock bike and the stiff lock caused the key to snap.
:facepalm:
Multiple bus journeys return with what could be easily mistaken as 'Going equipped' bag of tools with visions of me hacksawing it off to find PC Plod standing over me :LOL:
10 mins to extract the key end but had to return home for the spare key as id originally thought it wasnt going to come out being below the surface, hence hacksaw and braided wire cutters.
More multiple bus journeys but at least i got the bike back :LOL: that area it wouldnt have been there in the morning.

Moral of the story - Ask the seller before buying. Agree a price and see if he'll relist it as parts or not working at that agreed price. At least it would record it more accurately to what it actually is condition and standing wise :?

Back