Opinions again - time for a new build. Another Orange, or?

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I went for a ride on my C16R today. It's a bit of a hodgepodge build but I absolutely love it. It's a toy!

Given the rough and ready nature of the build I had some plans for tweaks - hoping to work towards some kind of "ideal" spec - and I've been buying bits including a pair of Pace RC36 Evo forks to replace the Rockshox Indy SLs currently fitted, as well as some more "period correct" wheels and drivetrain parts. But after riding it again today I sort of decided that I don't want to fiddle with it any more. It just works so well as it is!

file.php

But I would like a second bike to fiddle with. Basically I'd like something that gives me the same confident, fast, light and direct feeling as the C16R... and maybe throw a few small upgrades / tweaks / weight savings into the mix. As much as anything it's fun to experiment with the looks of it a bit. I like changing stuff around, but I don't want to mess up a bike that's currently great to ride!

I've also got a 92 Clockwork which I really like (especially looks wise), but perhaps don't enjoy riding as much as the 97 C16R. I mainly put that down to the rigid forks and bar/stem setup. It's just not as forgiving in my clumsy hands! The bike is almost completely original and my plan was to keep it that way, but maybe I'd ride it more with suspension forks and a better riding position.

file.php

So the question is, what next? Do I keep both of the above and build something else or do I modernise/upgrade the 92 bike to get it to ride more like the C16R? Maybe I could get a 1" steerer for the Pace forks? They would be a bit modern though, and if I do that will I crave a fully rigid bike again?

The ideal would be to get something I like a little bit more than the C16R, so that when it's due a new chain etc., I can start fiddling with it again and make a few tweaks.

If it's a new build then what. Another C16R? Or what about a P7? What's the difference in riding terms? A Prestige? A later P7/Clockwork with disc brakes? Or something else all together?

It's fun to dream. :mrgreen:

Re:

I think you should get another bike.
Have you ridden a Kona before?
I love my Oranges, but I also like Konas, they always seem to be "fun" bikes, never had a Kona that I haven't liked.

Re: Re:

jimo746":369c8u3n said:
I think you should get another bike.
Have you ridden a Kona before?
I love my Oranges, but I also like Konas, they always seem to be "fun" bikes, never had a Kona that I haven't liked.

I haven't tried a Kona, and I would like to. Maybe something from same sort of late 90s era worth looking out for? Is there much between the different models in terms of frame specs?

Tube was a bit tougher so a tad heavier but same geometry. So should be as good to ride but allow a different direction build wise.

Or as you suggest maybe a 2001/2 disc ready frame with disk brakes. Again same geometry. Doing that myself at moment

Re:

I haven't tried a Kona, and I would like to. Maybe something from same sort of late 90s era worth looking out for? Is there much between the different models in terms of frame specs?

Kona used better quality and lighter frame tubes as you went up the modal range. Entry level models like the Fire Mountain would have plain guage cro-moly tubes, whereas the more expensive models would have double butted and the very top models like the Expolosiv and Hot would use Tange Ultimate and later Reynolds 853.

However, by the late 90s many models had aluminium frames, although I think the Explosiv remained steel. There are plenty of Kona catalogues in the archive which would have more information: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Incidentally, I have a '94 Fire Mountain and I like it; I've often wondered how the Explosiv compares given how nicely the lowly Fire Mountain rides.

xerxes":dy68u2uf said:
I've often wondered how the Explosiv compares given how nicely the lowly Fire Mountain rides.

I've wondered that too, imo the best ££/ride quality is the Lava Dome, they were still making those in steel in '98, and they still ride well. I did have a Kilauea which sits "above" the Lava Dome, but I couldn't tell any real world differences in riding the frames tbh.

A P7 is also a worthy contender though :)

xerxes":31l4tp5k said:

Kona used better quality and lighter frame tubes as you went up the modal range. Entry level models like the Fire Mountain would have plain guage cro-moly tubes, whereas the more expensive models would have double butted and the very top models like the Expolosiv and Hot would use Tange Ultimate and later Reynolds 853.

However, by the late 90s many models had aluminium frames, although I think the Explosiv remained steel. There are plenty of Kona catalogues in the archive which would have more information: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Incidentally, I have a '94 Fire Mountain and I like it; I've often wondered how the Explosiv compares given how nicely the lowly Fire Mountain rides.

Thanks!

Looking at the 97 catalogue. Looks like Lava Dome and Cinder Cone are the same (steel) frame, Fire Mountain and Hahanna a tiny bit heavier but probably all worthy of a build. Explosiv and Kilauea are Columbus Nivachrome so lighter...the Kilauea being the lightest of the bunch.

Not totally averse to trying an alloy or even a FS frame, but it would be a gamble. An earlyish Marin full susser appeals e.g.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=392834

I also like the look of Sunns for some reason... might have a punt on the xciruit below if it wasn't miles away. Dunno what people think about them on here but I get a good vibe about them, and they seem to sell for less than Oranges and Konas

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunn-Xircuit ... 3594371482

But maybe better to stick to what I know. The P7 below is quite nice, and not bad value for money considering what my C16R cost to build "on the cheap". Disc brakes would be good, I think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-P7-Mo ... 3592691016

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I like that Sunn; something French to go with your English Oranges. :D

Although I quite like the full suspension Marins from the early 2000s as well, no idea what they're like and I really don't need full suspension for the "pootling about" style of riding I do, but I like the look of them, wheras I find a lot of full suspension bikes a bit "fugly".

2001%20Marin%20Rift%20Zone.jpg

Back