Service a Specialized Future Shock I’ve fooled

GaryH

Retro Newbie
Have I foooked my fork?
So as part of stripping my bike I got to the forks...the aim being to completely strip them sort the squelch and rebuild after a respray.
Managed to remove the first leg and top nut to drain the oil no problem...typically the second was a pain in the ar5e. But now I have it off I think i know why. Basically the damper adjuster I think should have been wound out while I removed the top nut. Anyway...not knowing thins and thinking it was seized after 22years of not moving I finally managed to get it off...the damper adjuster now doesn’t move as it’s been forced up by the damage on the nut. It also seems to have forced the adjusting rod out possible from a circlip at the bottom and created its own thread (below the actual thread).

So
1. How do you actually get the stanchion out of the leg? I’ve removed the circlip from the top but that’s not doing it.
2. Anyone got a spare top nut or spares /repairs set of Specialized Future Shocks I can rob parks from. Any manuals or anything would be good.

Apparently there is someone on here who can service/repair them according to my post on the MTB Golden Era Facebook group.

i posted the separation method on the group.
Manuals are in the Archive and Gallery here. just follow Mag series, they are all similar.
you only need to oull them apart if you want to get at the circlip

when you out them together, leave it off.

I live nr. chester but if you’re Yorkshire (Leeds/Halifax I could be tempted to pop over for work.

Re:

Can you post pictures of the top cap (incl from the bottom)
And the very bottom circlip part of the rod.

W.r.t. the pm
The top cap (if you've just damaged the spanner part).
That comes apart, the adjuster will come out and you can then file the raised parts down.
It may have a circlip holding it in place given it's probably a mag20 1992 or possibly a mag21 1993 based

They rod will be fine, it doesn't 'need' the circlip.

If you have a pump and football needle, likely is you can split the leg. An afternoons jolly.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 4.pdf.html

Back