Why do you collect retro bikes?

W7Ford

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Probably a dangerous thread to pull at, but wondered why do you own/collect retro bikes?

For me, I often buy parts which I associate with my own teenage years and couldnt afford at the time, I'm not sure why I now need them, perhaps its subconsciously recreating a time where I went riding with friends every weekend and had no boring adult responsibilities. I've got no interest in owning a brand new bike, even though the technology often makes them vastly superior to my own bikes. I also get quite a lot of enjoyment from sourcing parts and putting a new build together, generally basing part selection on my own likes rather than their performance.

W.Ford":3ryp0i5w said:
Probably a dangerous thread to pull at, but wondered why do you own/collect retro bikes?

For me, I often buy parts which I associate with my own teenage years and couldnt afford at the time, I'm not sure why I now need them, perhaps its subconsciously recreating a time where I went riding with friends every weekend and had no boring adult responsibilities. I've got no interest in owning a brand new bike, even though the technology often makes them vastly superior to my own bikes. I also get quite a lot of enjoyment from sourcing parts and putting a new build together, generally basing part selection on my own likes rather than their performance.

I think you have summed it up :) Plus it's a lot cheaper than collecting cars.

Re:

Rose tinted glasses.
I don't really collect, more buy, ride for a while, sell, and repeat.
Riding the bikes I remember from my "heyday" of mtb, some are as good as I hoped, others not so much.

It can be a relatively cheap hobby if you buy/sell and not just buy buy buy :LOL: at least compared to a monthly gym membership, golf club fees etc etc...

retro bikes, besides the challenge/joy of undertaking and completing a build, take us back to a simpler time and, ostensibly, more gentle/innocent world

k-rod":20chhih8 said:
retro bikes, besides the challenge/joy of undertaking and completing a build, take us back to a simpler time and, ostensibly, more gentle/innocent world

What he said :LOL:

I like the look of old bikes. I love collecting bits and bobs. I tend to like the weird, ugly or just plain rare. I sometimes enjoy riding old bikes so it all comes together quite well really.
Also like many others, I can buy the stuff I used to dream of as a kid, but for not a lot of money.
That's why I have now got 35 bikes, many of these are in or will be going in the loft for a few decades as
I'm now looking for the 1996 Beta Techno and GasGas JTR270 I had the brochures for as a kid.

To be fair before I got into cars bikes were my first love, the freedom they gave to explore the town to a 10 year old kid was unreal and as I got older the further afield I went. When I joined my local cycling club I was over whelmed by the members bikes, the support and camaraderie. These days it keeps me out of the wifes hair and I love building them and riding them its kinda like being 10 again.

i dont actually know why, i think its the ability to buy what i really wanted but could never get as a youth, forever chasing what ive already found, the look and engineering of old bikes, the history, nostalgia, theyre just cool...................cos theyre bikes??

tough one this, kinda easier justifying it all to the wife and family......and bewildered friends who dont understand 30 plus bikes......

Back